Convert manual light gas water heater to Dsi (spark ignition)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by CTrim, May 21, 2018.

1. CTrim

CTrim New Member

Hello, our water heater doesn't work anymore, it might be the thermocouple, it just will not light (pilot light won't light either), (yes all the other gas appliances work perfectly); anyhow, I want to know if I can install a new water heater (gas) with a DSI (direct spark ignition) with a switch inside the trailer. I love how easy it is to turn the furnace on with the push of a switch, and hate how hard it is to light the water heater with a match. Any ideas? I know it will require some wiring, and was wondering if the wiring inside the storage trunk for the light bulb in the trunk would work to hook into or if it's not the correct volts... I know next to nothing about electricity :) but I have friends who do! Hoping this is possible, please comment if you have experience with this type of project. Trailer is a Coleman Bayside, water heater is a Suburban sw6p.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have the old style manual light, I love it, main reason is it does something that the DSI does not do. The old type has an adjustable thermostat and the DSI does not, the temp on them are pre-set at 130 -140 deg. Only take a few min. to light then when the water reaches temp. I turn it off and have water for the rest of the day and or night. Good Luck and Happy Camping

CTrim likes this.
  3. CTrim

CTrim New Member

That's a good point, but our's has always been a real pain to light. :(