Converter Failure

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by David P Abernathy, Jun 22, 2019.

1. David P Abernathy

David P Abernathy New Member

We plugged the 30a plug into a 220 outlet, it should have been into a 110 with an adapter. Do we to replace the converter or is there a fuse or something simpler to replace.

First time on here, glad to get the help.

Dave

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Hard to say, you haven't given us any info to go on at all - make, model, year of camper or converter make / model. If it's a recent model converter you may have gotten lucky and simply blown a fuse, if an older model it's likely toast.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

30 amp you probably pooped the breaker in the AC side of the power center in the camper. Check all of them.

4. David P Abernathy

David P Abernathy New Member

The model of the converter is wf-8735-p, I've searched the internet and can't find anything. Have checked all the breakers, all fuses are good. When plugged into 110v, all the some things works (A/C, microwave) but no the DC stuff (lights, slides, water pump). But when we switch to the batteries, the DC things work. It seems like the converter is not converting when plugged into the AC side.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Sounds like its toast. If you do decide that you need one, I have a new one still in the box,,,,for half price, with buyer paying for the ride

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Since it costs nothing to look - Look for a fuse inside the Converter (aside from the circuit breaker) - maybe like in the photo (an old Centurion converter, since removed from the Aliner, and replaced)

Attached Files:

Blackripley likes this.
  7. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I've been inside my WFCO because the large ceramic resistors broke off due to road vibrations (seems to be a relatively common problem looking at the amazon reviews).

Be very careful as the large electrolytic capacitors may still hold a charge (they sure were for me). You can discharge them by shorting them with a screwdriver.

Pretty sure there are some glass fuses on the board. But I'm not sure they would blow before another component when the wrong voltage was applied.