converter problems

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by jeeper88, Oct 6, 2019.

1. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

WFCO Arterra WF-8725-PB Power Converter

Here is what I have. My neighbor told me to plug into his 30 amp so I did. Well it was a 220 30 amp. My 12 volt side still works not 110 side. I found the internal fuse and it is blown. Not sure if it is soldered in or a pull out fuse and I cant tell what size it is. Can anyone help me with with the size and if I can just pull it out?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

3. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Remove the cover and pull the fuse. It is a standard household fuse just like you have in your box at home, they snap in and out. Might be tripped or blow. You should be able to see it just opening the cover of the unit, but to remove the fuse, you have to take the cover and plate off.

4. jeeper88

upload_2019-10-8_12-10-14.jpeg here is the blown fuse upload_2019-10-8_12-10-14.jpeg

5. jeeper88

Sorry at least u can see it

6. jeeper88

as you can see i cant see what size the fuse is. I could guess and say 5 amp 125 volt. also its soldered in not like a household fuse.

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Why would you not contact WFCO and ask what rating this fuse should be?

https://wfcoelectronics.com/support/

8. jeeper88

hmm Didnt cross my mind.. I did find out tho. Is an 8amp 250 volt

9. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

No need to the amp rating and voltage is stamped on the end of fuses like that.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

That's not a blown fuse. It's a physically damaged fuse. How did it get like that?

11. Fless

Fless Active Member

Your 12v probably works because it may be being fed by your battery.

_

12. jeeper88

Yes 12 volt worked fine. The fuse broke when I tried to remove it not knowing it was soldered in. I had enough of the pins on the side of the fuse I could solder a fuse holder on, so now I I can replace with a new fuse without dealing with the PC board. Its what they should have done in the first place.

13. jeeper88

upload_2019-10-9_22-37-10.jpeg

14. jeeper88

Here is what I did. It was an 8 amp so I used a 10 amp. Anyone see any problems with this? I turned all the ac stuff on even the HI speed on the ac , refridge, water pump all my lights and had 3 of the outlets being used. all went well for the 3 hrs i had it fired up and no prob. so am I wrong to fix it the way I did?

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

It would seem you're confused as your converter has nothing to do with the trailer's 120 vac system, other than being a convenient location to mount the 120 vac breakers and 12 vdc fuses. Incoming 120 vac shore power is fed to the input side of the converter and to breaker(s) that feed the trailer's 120 vac receptacles. This 120 vac does not go through the converter except to feed it so it can convert that 120 vac to 12 vdc so to say you had some 120 vac devices running (A/C for example) is irrelevant to your issue. If the original fuse had an 8 amp rating then that's what you should replace it with.

16. jckele

jckele Member

Just curious, how could you possibly plug a 30a/120v rv plug into a 220v outlet of any current rating?
    Something there needs to be addressed before a real accident occurs!

17. jckele

jckele Member

From your picture it also appears that you may have soldered a automotive fuse holder in place of the original? I seriously doubt that the automotive fuse is rated for any more than 32v. That fuse soldered on the board will be for the primary, 120v side of the converter. It is not user replaceable cause normally when it blows it indicates an issue that a user can not repair. The 12v side will have a replaceable fuse to allow the user to change.
    You can buy fuses with leads attached or you could use a rated fuse and holder soldered in as you already did.

"The voltage rating of a fuse is a function of its capability to open a circuit under an overcurrent condition. Specifically, the voltage rating determines the ability of the fuse to suppress the internal arcing that occurs after a fuse link melts and an arc is produced. If a fuse is used with a voltage rating lower than the circuit voltage, arc suppression will be impaired and, under some overcurrent conditions, the fuse may not clear the overcurrent safely"

Just my opinion

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 9:03 PM
  18. tombiasi

If the broken fuse was on the AC side to feed the converter you have an automotive fuse in there rated for 15-35 volts.
    EDIT: Sorry jckele your post wasn't there when I posted. Probably should have refreshed the page.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 2:27 PM
  19. jckele

jckele Member

It sure is!
    I'm still wondering how one plugs a 120v trailer into a 240v outlet as the OP stated, and no one else questions it!

20. tombiasi

I just figured he thought it was 220v, many people on here have assumed the 30 amp outlet was 220v.