Converter question

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by barrieb24, Mar 23, 2018.

1. barrieb24

barrieb24 The Road's My Home

Last night I realized something: I needed to rewire/extend the battery wires from the back of my converter (positive and negative), adding alligator clips, etc.

Everything works, 12volt appliances are on...however they ARE on even when my converter switches are off (mains switch, DC switch). Is this normal? I was assuming I could kill the current from my converter so I don't have drain, by turning off the DC switch. Easy fix for now is to just unclip from the battery...

And I suppose I can just rewire a switch into the main battery wires, so that I can kill all power from the battery. (I have a couple charging outlets that have small LED lights that are always on...don't want them on all day/night).

Thanks

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If you have an inline fuse at the battery instead of a breaker just pull the fuse, or just remove the negative wire from the battery. Personally I don't think battery clips are a good idea, unreliable while towing and greater possibility for corrosion.

3. barrieb24

barrieb24 The Road's My Home

Great idea...duh! I don't have an inline fuse, but do have a fuse at the converter. I can just pull that out when setup and not in use. The battery won't be attached when driving and the clips will be stored out of the elements until the PUP is setup. Thanks for the fuse tip!

4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Battery needs to be connected to electric brakes if equipped

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Battery needs to be connected to electric brakes if equipped............... so that the breakaway switch will work. Or add a small battery just for that.