converter replace/upgrade and proper battery

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by jettyrat, Aug 4, 2019.

1. jettyrat

jettyrat New Member

new to us 2006 Starcraft 2406, just brought home yesterday. Previous owner said converter was out (Elixer ELX -25) and there is no battery. ELX-25 appears to have 2 breakers and 4 dc circuits.
    onboard equip:
    Water pump (DC)
    AC
    Refrigerator (i believe 3 way)
    Water Heater (propane)
    Furnace (i assume propane/DC)
    what I think is maybe a CO detector
    no trailer brakes but likely to add at a later date

The AC power cord is terminated with a 3 prong plug in which one plug is Hor. this is not plugged in to any thing.
    I need to have a 110 outlet for C-pap or inverter if on battery power

Most (70%) of our camping will be in CG with hook ups but we do like to beach camp/surf fish (so 30% boondocking with generator) some winter camping also so furnace will be used.

what converter to upgrade too? what size and type of battery? Where does the ac plug in to?
    If it is designed to plug into shore power only then I would want to wire into internal wiring so that the only have to connect the 30 amp cord to shore power/ generator in order to power all and charge onboard battery. I also assume that any inverter needed to run c-pap while on battery power would need to be wired directly to the battery with heavy gauge wiring.

2. jettyrat

jettyrat New Member

am I on the right track?
    PD 4135
    with a 24 or 27 deep cycle marine battery

3. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

To avoid killing a single battery I would either use 2 or at least a group 31 since you will have an obvious demand for power. With the right battery configuration you could also keep generator use to a minimum. As for a converter, I'm sure there will be some great opinions but I would figure out my expected power demands and plan from there. Purchase the best combination you can afford.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If your power panel contains a 20 amp breaker you have a separate circuit for the A/C. The outlet should be near where the power cord hangs. Mine is inside the dinette bench directly under the power cord.

Depending on how often you plan to run the generator you can probably get by on the G24 but might as well go bigger. I'd use a G31 minimum if you plan to go without the generator for a couple of days.

If the PO hadn't already you need to replace the interior bulbs with LEDs, that will save you a lot of power running on batteries.

You should be able to get a 12 volt power supply for your cpap for about the same, maybe less than the cost of a good inverter. It will also be a more efficient use of battery power. I got mine online from cpap.com.