Converter switch reference in 1640LTD manual

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Bruce Hull, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Bruce Hull

Bruce Hull New Member

This will probably apply to Rockwood Freedom owners. Don't know if anyone has encountered this or just has 2 cents to add, but I put our 2010 Rockwood 1640LTD on shore power and according to the manual, was supposed to make sure the 3-way switch was in the appropriate position. Spent 30 minutes looking for said switch, but couldn't find it. Outlets and fridge worked, so I assumed it was an older set of instructions and the "switch" was now automatic. Also, could someone verify that the battery is being charged when on shore power. Thank you. I apologize if this should be in another forum.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

My 3 way switch is on the back of the fridge, outside the pup. Look for an acess hatch. Thats on an older Coleman.

3. Bruce Hull

Bruce Hull New Member

That's what I initially thought, but the instructions reference a button being pushed in and specifically on the converter. I'll look at the converter model, but it seems to work without my doing anything.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

To verify that your battery is being charged, you need a volt meter to check volts at the battery

Bruce Hull likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Older trailers had to have the converter manually switched from to shore power to battery and back depending on which power source you were using..

Bruce Hull likes this.
  6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Bruce Hull, you need a up to date manual. ~97 or so they stopped using the switch you mention (conv-off-batt).

A 2010 model should provide some charge to the battery if working correctly.

Bruce Hull and Raycfe like this.
  7. Bruce Hull

Bruce Hull New Member

I downloaded an updated manual and it did mention testing the voltage at the battery cables with the battery disconnected and on shore power. Thanks for the responses.