Converting 4 to 7 pin... One question..

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by RonCC29, Apr 13, 2019.

1. RonCC29

RonCC29 New Member

Hello all,

I am adding a battery to my camper and subsequently converting the 4-pin to a 7 (which I think it was originally in 1997). The image below matched my setup the most as I purchased a 7-pin junction box and matched wire function from the 4 pin setup. My question is, I ran the battery positive from the converter to the junction box along with the battery 12v, not inline with the battery as this illustration suggests so in my case my black 7pin TV wire has a 12v+ red wire to the battery and a black 12v+ to the converter. Is there any issue with how I did it? I have not tested it on my vehicle yet but the camper is running fine off the battery.

Thank you!

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Not sure about color codes. But from the battery you should have the 12+. Trailer wiring normally 12+v is black, white is ground

If you have not already installed the 7 pin connector. There a few that are wired so all you have to do is plug in the 4 pin connector. Saves some work and preserves the 4 pin connector.

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yes, but this will not provide battery charging of the pup battery, and will not provide trailer brake function.

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I've read your description about 10 times trying to picture how you wired it. I think that you are saying that you have a red and a black, both connected together in the 7 pin, (must be in the trailer connector). The red provides charging for the battery, and the black provides power to the converter when connected to the TV. When unplugged from the TV, the Pup will get it's power from the battery through the connection made in the 7 pin. I guess it's not a problem, as long as you have proper gauge wires (the red and the black) going to both places, and a really good solid connection of the 2 to each other. All battery power will be going through that connection to power the whole Pup on 12 volts.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Correct. It gives you turn, running and brake lights. You still need to run your electric brake wire, and optional; battery charge and backup light wire