Converting to LED interior lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by ADK_ Adventures, Apr 24, 2021.

1. ADK_ Adventures

ADK_ Adventures Member

Hello!

We have a new to us 2001 Starcraft 2408 PUP. I’d like like replace the interior lights (and maybe the exterior lights in the future) with LED’s. Is this as simple as replacing the bulb, or do I replace the whole fixture? I found fixtures that aslod have hi/low and possibly a dimmer feature too, so maybe replacing the whole fixture is the best way to go?

Please see attached photos.

Thanks for your help!

-Amos

Attached Files:

2. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

I replaced the bulbs with the pretty spendy led ones at the local car parts store.
    I figured that they were made to stand up to the vibration and bouncing of towing. Dimmable would be nice though. But I don’t really use the lights inside the camper all that much. Porch light can be left on when the Mrs comes along to make it easier for her to find it.

ADK_ Adventures likes this.
  3. ADK_ Adventures

ADK_ Adventures Member

4. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

I’ve got no idea, buddy. I only replaced the incandescent bulbs with led bulbs.
    As for caulk, are you putting these on your ceiling or the top of your roof?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. ADK_ Adventures

ADK_ Adventures Member

Just the interior ceiling. I just didn’t know if it needed anything more than some screws.

-Amos

6. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Well, if they’re interior, no caulking needed.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Replacement led assemblies usually use a panel Led so all the light goes in one direction.

8. McSkippy

McSkippy Active Member

Your fixtures look really nice, with the fan plug on the side and a good reflector. I'd just replace the bulbs. Search your favorite online retailer for "1156 LED" and pick the light output and color temperature you like.

ADK_ Adventures and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I replaced mine with panel LEDs. I chose a warmer color that was closer to the incandescent look. I also bought ones that were rated for a range of voltage, typically up to 20V or so, as they were supposed to be a little more robust. I also added a dimmer to a couple lights. I got mine from Amazon, and they were pretty cheap I think. Have been fine for a couple years now.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I did the bulbs also. Amazon, get like a 10 pack for 20$ easy and done and you will have spares.

11. ADK_ Adventures

ADK_ Adventures Member

Hi all!

I ordered a couple of interior light from Amazon. Mine do a hi low as well as a range of color temps. I actually much prefer temps as josh as 6500K, and at least 5000K at home. These also have a setting for around 3500K, that I thought would be nice for late night lights. Basically, game of cards=brightest, highest K setting and middle of the night=Dimmest, lowest K setting. These may be overkill in a pop up, and if so I’ll swap them out for their smaller version (about 700lm to 320lm output).

Thanks for the help!

-Amos