Convertor Failing

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Kampus, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Pretty sure I already have my answer, just looking for someone to crack a beer and go yup...makes sense to me.

Quick set up info:
    -We primarily boondock.
    -Got a Centurion 3000 convertor....its the original.
    -We run a 1000 Watt generator for about 5 hours a day to run the fridge to keep some beverages cold and to charge the batteries for running LED lights and to charge a phone here and there.
    -We run a 140 Watt inverter for about an hour a night to watch a little TV before bed. The inverter has a voltage sensor that will shut it down when it hits "starting voltage"
    -New 120 amp hour deep cycle at the start of the 2019 season

This set up has worked fine all year. This past trip, the inverter would cut out after a few minutes. Checking my voltage gauge, it is showing 12.1 after charging on the generator. When we got home, I plugged the camper into the house and took a measurement at the battery. Getting 13.08-13.1 volts. This, to me, indicates the convertor is not putting out enough voltage to properly charge the battery....I would expect to see at least 13.4 for it to keep up. Does this make sense?

My plan was to take my 4amp charger with us next time to charge the battery to prove this out. To avoid having to disconnect the camper from the battery each time, can I pull the charging circuit fuse from the converter and charge the battery safety with my external charger?

Crack a beer and give me your thoughts....

2. p

p Active Member

Great minds think alike.

Kampus likes this.
  3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

just hook up the extra charger, no need to pull any fuse as multiple charging sources is a non issue.
    disconnect the battery in storage to prevent discharge from CO/propane detector or any other load.

Get the battery charged ASAP. Some auto parts stores charge/test batteries for free.

Measure the converter's output under no load, ie disconnect the batt neg and then measure voltage probing the batt + and the disconnected wire. A charging low battery can pull down the converter's output voltage.

Kampus and neighbormike like this.
  4. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

While measuring they way you describe....what output are you guessing I should see...what would indicate the convertor isnt able to keep up?

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Don't know, would guess 13.6v, just suggesting it might be low due to battery being low and charging.