Cooking in a Pop-up?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by kwdrysdale, Jul 15, 2019.

1. kwdrysdale

kwdrysdale New Member

I'm a long time tenter that just got a tent trailer. I see the stove inside and it hurts my brain. Do people actually use the stove inside their campers? Would the food smell not get in the canvas and attract animals? So used to keeping food entirely out of your sleeping area that I'm not sure how this makes sense. Thanks!

1380ken likes this.
  2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We never have cooked inside for the reasons you have. No good way to ventilate

kwdrysdale likes this.
  3. PeterS

PeterS New Member

We sometimes cook inside. We try to only boil water and make foods that aren't too greasy or pungent. It can be a lifesaver if it's really windy or rainy outside.

kwdrysdale likes this.
  4. O'ville

O'ville Active Member

My Microwave and coffee maker are on mine. Never going to use it for cooking.

5. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Never have cooked in ours. Last month we were in Yellowstone in the show and I still cooked outside.

6. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

I cook in mine all the time. It does not smell at all, just open the windows and turn on the fan. If there is a kitchen I'm cooking in it! Nothing like midnight snack of popcorn made in the camper IMHO..

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com likes this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As long time ground tent campers, we assumed we would never cook inside, and thought we'd remove the stove. We were very glad we waited until we did a few trips before doing such major renovation. Turned out, we liked having the option to cook inside - that said, we only did easy cooking inside. However, being able to heat water on a cold morning or have a place to cook supper inside, out of the winds we can experience turned out to be wonderful. Crouching behind a wind break to cook, etc. isn't a fun part of camping.
    With the type of things we cook, we figured there wasn't going to be any more odor left in the canvas than all that campfire/grilling, etc. smoke from other campsites that we have no control over would put in it. We also would not have cooked inside when we were in grizzly country, if we had done that with the popups.
    Our cooking pans, dish pans, food boxes, cooler, etc. all stayed in the tow vehicle, except when we were cooking, just as we had done when cooking outside, tent or popup.
    [We originally thought we'd use the sink, but it turned out to be not much use in the first pup, so we removed it in favor of counter space, and did the same in the second one. In both, the "water system" was a jug under the kitchen cupboard - it was just easier to use our usual water jugs, we added a counter top water filter/dispenser.]
    Now that we have a small TT, we cook inside more than we expected, partly because our camping season was extended even more by the TT than it had been with the pups, partly due to doing more overnight stops on some trips. We still cook and wash dishes outside when we wish - having alternatives has been great.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  8. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

I have the option to cook inside, but have never done it. For me, the thought of prepping a meal in such a confined space doesn't appeal. I like having the Coleman stove on the end of the picnic table, with the coolers nearby. Lots of space with little need to go running back and forth. And since we clean the dishes outside anyway, it just seems like way more work than it needs to be to do the actual cooking inside.

We'll occasionally heat up water for tea inside, but that's more to take the chill out of the air than anything else.

9. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

We use the cooktop inside the popup for boiling water for tea or instant oatmeal, and for heating up canned soup and such but I do not fry or cook anything smelly inside the trailer.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I cook outside about 90% of the time, and if weather forces me indoors I will only cook simple non smelly foods or just eat a sandwich. I camp sometimes in bear country so try to be extremely careful.

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

We bought our PUP to live inside on vacation (not to cook outside in the wind and cold and amongst the mosquitoes) - so yes, we cook inside. And sleep. And sit an pour over maps. No toilet, though.

HappyTraveler and campfire Joe like this.
  12. Strat1127

Strat1127 New Member

We use ours but sparingly. Mostly for boiling water or small side dishes like baked beans, etc. We keep our fan on for ventilation. Don't think we'd ever have the need for all three burners. Other than that, most of our cooking is outside on the grill.

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We don't use the stove inside, but do cook regularly. We have a toaster oven, microwave, and crock pot that get used every trip. Never had any problems with animals mistaking the canvas for food.

14. IndyRick

IndyRick Member

Of course I cook inside my PUP. There are a couple of things you need to know, though. First - I don't boondock. My wife uses a CPAP, and running that on a battery is me challenge than I prefer. So, that means I'm staying in campgrounds with electricity, which are usually not frequented by nasty big critters (and often frequented by campers who provide lots of easier targets by leaving coolers outside). Also, cooking is not really a recreational activity for me. I often use the microwave, but I do have a portable outdoor gas grill for steaks & burgers. This next week I'll build a drawer unit to hold my 2-element electric hotplate with provision for the microwave to sit on top.

15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I don't like setting up a camp kitchen. I don't mind sleeping in a tent on the ground, or even setting one up, but I got my popup in a large part FOR the kitchen. The beds and stuff are secondary.

Greasy or smelly stuff is not cooked inside, but most stuff is. We have a nice flop-out cooktop built into the side of the popup that gets used for messy stuff, or for heating cocoa water at night when we are enjoying the stars. We'll EAT outside if it's nice, but I'm not going to lug out all my gear when I have a nice setup inside.

We have another popup-style RV with a tiny itty bitty kitchen and we will sometimes set up the outside cookstove for dinner when we are in that because it's not as nice a place to cook, but none of us are willing to make breakfast in the COLD so we cook in that as well.

There are 4 main reasons I got the popup I did and one of them is the 3 burner range with oven. Which is inside. (Other 3: bathroom, built-in gray tank, oops I forgot the other.)

I camp in public (usually federal) campgrounds with varying bear activity. Follow the rules of the campground; they are tailored to the local bear population. No problem.

16. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Cooked in the PUP all the time. It rains a lot here, and we just started cooking in there. As far as smells go, unless you're cooking 100 yards away, bacon cooked inside versus under the canopy is just about the same for a bear. I never smelled anything inside the PUP, but there's no doubt a bear could. We kept most of the food in the truck though. Anyway, we cooked inside all the time and never gave it a second thought once we opened a window a bit and the roof vent.

17. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Although we do most cooking outside, we have no problem using stove or oven. No smells.

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com likes this.