COOKING INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE PUP

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by brianbigdogsmith, Dec 14, 2013.

COOKING INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE PUP

1. INSIDE ALL THE TIME

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. OUTSIDE ALL THE TIME

72 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. BOTH, DEPEDS ON THE WEATHER

41 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. IN A SCREEND IN ROOM OUTSIDE

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. RATHER RUN INTO TOWN AND EAT THERE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

We do all our cooking outside, with the exception of nuking a hot beverage.

Went so far as to remove the interior stove. That made more room for counter space.

2. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I lied! I marked cook outside all the time. That is not strictly true. First, we always seem to find a reason to head to a restaurant one night. Also, we often bake muffins inside, and on occasion nuke bacon making that an inside meal. Most times I cook outside though.

3. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Always outside, carry over from tent camping. Have never used sink, refrig or furnace! I have a dorm refrig in my TV for electric sites [8D]

4. froggie

froggie New Member

Outside only. Microwave for heating something up. I have a 2 burner that can be used inside or mounted outside. I leave it at home. We either cook on a grill or over or in the fire (do).

5. bfahs

bfahs Member

Outside. While new i don't see us cooking inside.
    I can see plugging in our hot water maker. Maybe.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Here's my take on it: If you camp in bear country you should only cook and eat outside. If you think you may ever camp in bear country you should only cook and eat outside. Cooking on a stove or grill hung on the outside of the PUP counts as cooking inside because the smell goes into the tenting and interior (even though you may not be able to smell it).

7. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

If I'm in bear country, I'd rather cook in someone else's camp. [LOL]. [LOL]

8. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I had to pick both, but it really doesn't fit. We rarely cook inside. It does depend on the weather, but when we cook inside it is usually boiling water or heating up something like home canned beef stew.

9. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

I voted for both also. Most cooking is done outside with the two burner stove hanging on side of camper. Real simple things done inside boil water and cook an cheese omlet on a real wet and cold morning. I do camp in bear country in Northern New Jersey so inside cooking is very limited.

10. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

When I bought my '98 it didn't come with an outside stove. Therefore, inside only.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

outside: 99+% outside.

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

cullinan18, many of us have a small camp stove to use on the picnic table. HERE is an example.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    cooking near Twin Lakes by kitphantom, on Flickr

This is our Coleman stove and outdoor cooking set-up., and our previous pup. This is at Twin Lakes, CO, and our (former) table canopy got left at home, it was so hot we could tolerate it t cook, then ate inside. Now that we have the aluminum tables, we mostly cook under the awning, the sun is usually more of an issue than rain. Our new shade structure is not large enough to use over the picnic table. (We had a larger one for about a year, but even with lots of stakes, it blew up, up and away at this year's Rally. We were not in camp for what we were told was a rather impressive, tethered flight. It finally did break free, and someone tied it down for us.)
    The Coleman does a better cooking job in most ways, we like the Coleman fuel (we find it at a good price on occasion, so don't need to buy it at the high prices we see is small towns.

14. backwoodsmama

backwoodsmama New Member

Our PUP is so small, I really can't see us cooking inside. We are graduated tent campers, so we're totally used to doing all of our cooking outside with a Coleman stove and the campfire anyhow. I can't say that we will NEVER cook inside at some point in the future, we just prefer to use our Coleman kitchen and kitchen set-up. That's always been half the fun, anyhow! Being outside in nature and doing the cooking. Food just tastes better when cooked outside! Heck....when we go to our week-long fishing camp with family, we stay in a cabin and we STILL bring our Coleman 3 burner stove and griddle to use outside for breakfast, at least!

15. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mostly outside....with the pup its was 99.9% of the time. pouring rain and inside cooking would be using the jet boil to heat water for coffee oatmeal soups and such.
    But with the HTT its dropped to about 95% outside, and the inside cooking is 90% oven, (we have cookies) or coffee perking.

16. ptthefanman

ptthefanman Member

We do both. Inside when it is super cold or raining or if i am camping solo. when the entire family goes (there are 6 of us) we set up a large outdoor kitchen and go all out! Also, greasy / messy foods are done outside (ie. fish / spaghetti) Definitely prefer outdoors cooking mostly because it feels more rustic + the food always 'tastes better'! The key to non-frustrating cooking at camp for us is to preplan meals + to organize our kitchen as well as our dishwashing station (wherever it is) to avoid so much 'in and out' 'back + forth' between camper, TV, and our cooking area.
    Because we love to cook we also make use of more than our pup's stove. Depending on the meal we also use the campfire, or DO, as well as the little portable oven to bake. the kids help us in meal prep + clean-up this has proven a major benefit. now they individually come up with 1 meal a day to prepare for the family and we accomplish it together. FUN!

17. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I'm with most eveyone else. Only water on the kettle inside for my french press, everything else outside, regardless of weather conditions.

18. rebrev

rebrev New Member

:)

19. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

The only objection I have to cooking inside are things that will smell really bad. Things like fish, lobster, clams, taco meat, bacon, etc. I do not mind using the oven for a few bagel bites, baked ziti, etc. For stove top stuff, I am good with fresh/frozen vegies, pasta, scrambled eggs, etc. It is mostly the greasy stuff that I do not want cooked in the pop up. I bring along a Coleman stove for that. Best thing ever invented for the camper. hands down. :)

Grilling is done on the Weber Q grill.

Vin,

20. thedeneckes

thedeneckes New Member

We cook in and outside. It just depends on the meals. We normally cook inside though. We use to tent camp so we are use to cooking outside.