COOKING INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE PUP

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by brianbigdogsmith, Dec 14, 2013.

COOKING INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE PUP

1. INSIDE ALL THE TIME

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. OUTSIDE ALL THE TIME

72 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. BOTH, DEPEDS ON THE WEATHER

41 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. IN A SCREEND IN ROOM OUTSIDE

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. RATHER RUN INTO TOWN AND EAT THERE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada New Member

100% outside. I boil the kettle inside in the morning to heat water for the French press, but that's all our pup stove ever gets used for. Pup has a BBQ that hangs outside which we use quite a bit for grilling and as an "oven" for roasting potatoes, etc. Tin foiled veggies are great on the barbie. I have a 2 burner propane stove that I set up on the picnic table for all of our frying needs. We don't camp in bear country...we just don't want the inside of the pup to smell like supper. We do eat at the dining table inside since we don't have a screen tent outside. We did have a screen tent when we were tenters, but since we graduated to a pup, we're like hey, this thing is like a big screen tent on wheels. Let's use it!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've changed a bit, now that we have a small TT. Unlike the popup, we cannot set up a covered cooking area right outside our trailer, which was a disappointment. The only place our awning really shelters from most rains is right next to the door, which would be barely enough space for the stove. It's often too breezy to have that awning out anyway. With a working fridge and sink inside, it's just easier a lot of the time to cook inside. Our season has lengthened over what we did in the popups, and we usually go out more than we did in them too, so we're more apt to encounter darkness, cold, or wind.
    We did cook outside some this year, since we have two shade structures, and a screen house. We only use the screen house in places where it's not windy (it got flattened in canyon winds in CO the second time we used it) and it's buggy. I want to make more use of the Coleman oven on the camp stove, and that is definitely an outside task. We used the Omnia oven on the camp stove outside this year, since it was a hot day, but we could use it inside if we wanted to do so, if it was too windy or cold, for example.
    For Thanksgiving, we'll be meeting friends at a state park in AZ, and doing meals together. More than likely, I'll do a lot of my portion outside, on the camp stove or with the Instant Pot pressure cooker(s), since we have power. With our small TT, it's just easier to do that type of cooking outside,a nd the weather usually cooperates in AZ. The microwave will see some use, it's handy when we have power and light/dry storage the rest of the time.
    We still bring much of our food already cooked and frozen, it makes it easy, especially if we've been out exploring for much of the day, and gives us a wider range of choices. With a freezer that works well, we bring more than we did when we only had a cooler.