Cooking Turkey in Dutch Oven for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by smadeen, Oct 13, 2016.

1. smadeen

smadeen Member

We are doing our first Thanksgiving camping and cooking this year. I have a 12-inch dutch oven and would like some instructions and recipes on cooking a turkey in this oven. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

2. TomSwenson

TomSwenson New Member

You'd be hard pressed to fit a whole turkey in a 12 inch Dutch oven. I have a monster 12x16x9 inch Maca Dutch oven that will accommodate a whole turkey. I have heard the Maca is doing a limited run of these ovens in the near future. If you want to see it in action, you can check out my Dutch oven turkey video I made about a year and a half ago http://1960hikerdude.com/dutch_oven_turkey/

Have fun,

Tom (1960HikerDude)

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

4. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I would have to agree, you are going to be hard pressed to get a whole turkey in a 12" Dutch oven. Even the oven that Yetavon shows is a little too shallow. Camp Chef used to make a turkey roasting DO. They don't make them any more, but you can find them once in a while on ebay. I picked this one up for $99 and free shipping. It will hold a 18 lb. turkey easily.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom, you can order them now through ahappycamper.com, but the prices with shipping are a little high.

5. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

My wife cooked one in an electric turkey roaster last Thanksgiving at Table Rock in SC.... it turned out awesome and they're relatively inexpensive.