Cool weather camping -activities?

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by Mamagoogins, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

We are going to be camping over Columbus Day weekend. Average daytime temps look to be around 60. My husband isn't a hiker or biker, what kinds of things do you do during the day on fall campouts without the kids? I can think of plenty of indoor activities but I'm looking for things to do outside [:D]

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Cornhole (bean bags-n-boards kind)
    Washers
    Ladder golf
    Bocci Ball
    Pickle Ball
    and the newest to us... Beersbee (can be played with a soft drink)

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I always had my kids play "gather dead wood". We normally spend most of the day doing whatever brought us to the area, so fishing is a normal activity for us. But, we also spend a great deal of time in the car looking around any new area, finding maybe a new spot for ice cream or a light snack. If there is an attraction, we normally go see it. When my son was a Scout, camping was always a good time to work on fire skills and knot skills. We'd mess around making primitive camping items.

But, all that was a brief time period. Now we camp to be close to what it is we came to do. Camping is incidental to the activity, not the activity itself. So, we have no compunction about getting up in the morning and being gone in the truck all day either exploring the natural beauty around us, fishing, or just checking out a new town. Just going to the movies in a new place can sometimes be exciting for kids.

4. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

I'm looking for activities to keep my husband and I busy. We won't have any kids with us this weekend.

5. Hoosier Daddy

While some I listed are games for four, most can be played with two...

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Although it kind of falls within the relm of hiking, geocashing comes to mind. It's great to do during the fall. If your husband likes to fish, I think that will also be pretty good during the fall. Some men though like my father just would prefer to stay under the awning relaxing. What does he like to do when he's home.

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

No kids....grab some afternoon delight.....

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

LOL 60 is cold weather camping? There's really nothing you *can't* do at 60 degrees, except maybe swimming.

9. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Well my wife and I would probably scout out a small town ,look for antique shops , stuff like that. If he don't like that ,you do it and leave him at the camper. kidding . Depending where you go camping that may not be an option.

10. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Those type activities are best kept inside the camper or at least wait till its dark.

11. gruss

gruss Active Member

weekend without the kids?

Probably wouldnt leave the camper...
    if we did we'd hike and stuff for a bit but since that isn't your thing we would probably build a fire and experiment with the dutch ovens.

12. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Explore the local area a winery, brewery, antiquing, coffee shop visit an area that is less busy in the fall than summer the beach.
    Board games or find a golf course. Try something new.

13. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

With or without the children around? [;)]

14. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

That was included in my indoor activities [;)]

15. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Depending on where you camp, it could be both ;)

16. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

He's a lobsterman so he spends most of his time on the ocean. He doesn't fist much on his off time since he does that all day long. When he's not on the ocean he is working, physical labor of some sort. Our home burned in May and we just recently got to move back in so he is always doing something that involves getting the house back to normal. He never takes time to just relax. It was just last year that I finally got him to go camping at all. He always feels like he has too much to do around the house or for the lobster boat. I think I will end up just making some great food at the camp, handing him some beer and get a cribbage marathon going.

17. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yeah, a really complicated dutch oven cooking event may keep him occupied. He sounds a little like me... just sitting on a chair and drinking.... yikes, how horrible! So, he'll need projects like gathering deadfall to make a fire last for hours. Split wood, see if you can make the fire with just ONE match. I know it sounds like work, but he'll dig it and not go out of his mind just sitting there. Maybe the PUP needs some light maintenance like lubing stuff. Buy some zipper lube and lube all the zippers... that kills some time.

I asked my wife what she would do to keep me busy in this case, and she said she'd tell me to take a bunch of pictures of stuff to post in various places. She's right, that would keep me busy! Hey, wait a minute... now I'm on to her!

Good luck. Sorry my previous post didn't note that it was a kid free event.

18. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

Generok - thank you! We haven't attempted dutch oven cooking yet. I think you're definitely onto something there. This campground provides free firewood, all you can use, so gathering firewood is out. Lube, he'll just like the sound of that word so that is a definite. But...a delicious dutch oven meal, I think that would work. Off to Cabelas!

19. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

Update: Weather was in the low 70's all weekend. Cool nights and warm
    days - couldn't have asked for a better weekend.

20. Hoosier Daddy

Did you purchase and use a DO?
    With free firewood I'd have been cooking all weekend!