Cooler Gizmo

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by natty bumppo, Jun 12, 2009.

1. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

Last year my wife and I made our own Gizmos and cut outs for the windows.We wanted to make a cooler gizmo but we ran short on material and didn't want to spend more money on another roll of Reflectix.Read a topic from SCmomma about building gizmos from auto windshield reflectix to save money.I remembered I had one of these windshield reflectix in my storage building so today the wife and I cut it up and with the leftover pieces from our gizmo adventure we made a cooler gizmo.Next week we are going to Michigan for a weeks camping.I think if the cooler gizmo is half as efficient as the gizmos on the end bunks we should be buying a lot less ice.[​IMG]

2. wishicouldgo2

wishicouldgo2 SW Ohio

southwestern Ohio, southcenteral Louisiana
    Nice idea! How did you put it together? I might use the idea if you don't mind! ANYTHING for buying less ice.

3. natty bumppo

We originally bought our roll of Reflectix at Lowes Home Improvement along with a roll of Shuretape DC 181.This is great tape,perfect for taping Reflectix.Be sure to tape both sides of each seam!

4. scottie0719

scottie0719 "the Rubber Duckie"

Great idea! This place is filled with innovative folks!

5. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

Is the tape near the Reflectix rolls in the store? I did online search and it didnt come up with anything.

6. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

I confirm that this works. We made Reflectix covers for our coolers last year and they definitely keep the ice runs down. We set the cooler down on a bungee cord then we lay the Reflectix over the cooler. We hook the two ends of the bungee cord and it keeps the wind from blowing the Reflectix off. When someone needs a drink we undo the bungee and lift the Reflectix like a flap.
    On the taping... we used wide, clear packing tape to piece together the bunkend window Reflectix. It's held well. And yes, tape both sides of the Reflectix seam. It's the last you'll have to think about it.

7. TigerCamper

TigerCamper New Member

Nice idea.

8. natty bumppo

I don't think the tape was on the same isle as the Reflectix .It is a shiny aluminum looking roll of tape about the size of a roll of duct tape.Just ask for it by name.I didn't see it in their online search either. I ran a search on Amazon and they had it for $23 for a 160 yard roll.I don't remember paying that much for a roll but I bought it last year.Although this is great tape I wouldn't pay $23 dollars for it.Any good duct tape would do the job.Lowes had a roll of tape made by Reflectix for around $8 but it wasn't available in my area store.Check the store in your area.

9. wishicouldgo2

wishicouldgo2 SW Ohio

southwestern Ohio, southcenteral Louisiana
    would a roll of clear duct tape work? [:D]

10. natty bumppo

Try it and see is all I can say.This Shuretape is very thin,very strong,easily torn if you can get it started.I believe any type of tape used for duct work will work just fine.

11. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Cool Idea, We have the worst problem with keeping Ice in the cooler here in Florida.

I just bought a 4'X25' rool of reflectix at Lowes for $37. I will tell you how to get it that cheap.

Lowes price matches plus gives you additional 10%. So I went online to Home Depot, Printed it out the page of the Reflectix, took the paper to lowes, got the product, went to the register, let them know you have a price match and it will come down from $49 to $37. Not a bad deal for printing out a piece of paper.

Sharon

12. NHDalton

NHDalton I camp, therefore I am

I made 2 of these using reflectix and duct tape and it worked out quite well for a 4 day boondocking trip.

13. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

guess you know what i'll be doing with any leftover reflectix windshield things i end up with........haha........thanks for the idea.........SCmomma