Cooling Off the Pop Up for Cat Friendly Camping

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by clarebear, Jul 6, 2021.

1. clarebear

clarebear New Member

My partner and I have a trip planned for the end of July which we intended on doing with our cat. Our cat has taken trips with us before in the cooler months and loves the pup but heat is a new challenge. We didn't really consider how hot it was going to be and our pup doesn't have a/c. Any tips on how to get the pup cool enough to be safe for our furry companion?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If your camping with electricity, get an AC. Otherwise look i to reflexdex, pugs, parking under shade trees. Depending on where and when you go this may or may not help. I would get an AC.

firepit and neighbormike like this.
  3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Without adding A/C there is not a whole lot you can do. It will get warm during the day, especially in full sun. Try to get as much shade as possible, keep the windows open for breeze and get a couple oscillating fans. Pugs over the bunks would help - if you can rig a tarp for full coverage shade over the whole pup that would be great. I have seen a couple folks do it with monster tarps, but lots of poles, stakes and cordage is needed. Get an electric site so you can use decent fans.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. Musictom

Musictom Member Gold Supporting Member

We are currently on a 2 1/2 week trip through Oregon and Idaho during this incredible heat wave. No A/C in our pup. We've got both bunks covered with pugs, make sure we take full advantage of shade, and have a fan running inside. Also, camping on grass makes a HUGE difference than a concrete or dirt pad! It's bearable, but would be awfully nice to have some A/C! Let's just say that I s t r e t c h out the grocery trips, haha!

Then again, when it's 104 outside, I'm not sure how much an A/C could cool down a pup.

5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We used a 10k btu portable AC in our pup. It worked reasonable well. In the heat of the day (~90ish) with some sun hitting the canvas, the AC would keep the pup in the upper 70s or low 80s. The biggest issue I had with it was it was really bulky.

firepit likes this.
  6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

+1 on AC...even if its portable preferably 12000 btu or bigger.
    I have floor dryer fan that i have used on the lowest setting inside of ours.
    Animals learn quick where a nice cool breeze is coming from.
    If you are camping where there is no power...You might wanna rethink it.

7. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

You will need A/C. My Viking has a really good A/C unit on the roof. I also have a generator and will only go Boondocking. So using the generator is no problem. I went camping two years ago in the upper Owen Valley of California. It was a hot sun-of-a-gun outside. The temp was 100 degrees from about 11 a.m. until about 5 p.m. I had to run the generator and the A/C during that time. I was able to leave the unit on the Medium setting which kept me very comfortable inside. But that kind of camping is just no fun. I packed up on the third morning and went home. I really would like to head out again next week, but the temperature around here has hit 113 at times. So I'm just going to wait out this heat wave at home.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I take my dogs camping all the time without AC. I make sure they have a fan and water at all times and they learn the best place to cool off. (Under the camper) when we are at camp. When I brought my cat Bliss, she was kind of special. She was raised around dogs since she was 7 weeks. So loved dog crates and was even leash trained so she hung out with me. Either in a special carrier or on lead. If I was sitting at camp she was outside on a long lead and harness. I had to watch her like a hawk though as she wasn't as smart about getting untangled. I kept all the windows open in the camper and had reflective tarp over the bunkend. She really only went inside the camper to sleep though. The litterbox I kept in a dog crate to keep the litter contained and easier to move it inside and outside regularly. It was also to help keep the dogs from sniffing around. I didn't bring the cat much however as I did not trust her around my canvas and screens. The bugger tried to use it like a scratching post and so watching her 24/7 was exhausting. Bliss however has traveled with me on a regular basis when I went to the beach house/cabins, or my parents place. She went in her crate like a champ so long as she knew we were going somewhere fun. How the heck she knew the difference is beyond me.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  9. jonkquil

jonkquil Well-Known Member

I don't have any other suggestions other that what's been said above but....

I'd love to see pics of your cat camping [:D]

10. Sjm9911

Toedtoes brought cats. I tried, one did not like the camper at all. So to protect the camper and the cat i never attempted it.

11. clarebear

clarebear New Member

As requested IMG_20210419_115852409_HDR.jpg

Sjm9911 and jonkquil like this.
  12. jonkquil

jonkquil Well-Known Member

Awwwee, just look at that cute face!! That's such a lovely picture, thanks for sharing

13. Sjm9911

clarebear and jonkquil like this.