Copper Tubing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by jmatasov, May 23, 2017.

1. jmatasov

jmatasov "Never tell me the odds." -Han Solo

So I had to cut one copper gas line to get the floor out. it was really in a hard-to-reach place so cutting it was the only option. I also have a larger line I need to replace.

I took the pieces to Home Depot to get some replacement copper tubing and I noticed that the "L" tubing has super thin walls compared to the stuff I pulled out. Like paper-thin vs 1/16 or 1/32" thick. Something like 1/3 as thick as what was there.

I need to use the thicker stuff, don't I?

2. shaune509

shaune509 Member

There are 2 grades of flex copper yubing. One for low pressure water service and the high pressure for gas and hvac. IMHO use the heavier grade.
    Shaune509

3. jmatasov

jmatasov "Never tell me the odds." -Han Solo

I do want to use the heavier grade. Where do I even get it? I didn't see it at Home Depot.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Contact a place that does gas bbq and fireplace installs, or chase down a gas company contractor and inquire how much it would cost for the feet you need ...

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Or your friendly neighborhood Hank Hill, who sells propane and propane accessories.

neighbormike likes this.
  7. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Typically, K for High Pressure, L or M for Low Pressure; however, K can also be used for Low Pressure

8. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

"Fuel Oil, L.P. and Natural Gas Services Use Type L or Type ACR tube with flared joints in accessible locations and brazed joints made using AWS A5.8 BAg series brazing filler metals in concealed locations."

from the Copper Tube Handbook

9. justincdst

justincdst Member

Bring this back to life. I'm have to replace all my tubing or most of anyway. Is there such a a thing a rubber rubbing vs the copper stuff? Seems to work in the BBQ and from the regulator. Is it a cost thing cause it seems a high grade rubber one with fittings would be easier to work with.

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I ran 3/8 tubing purchased from a local hardware store. Bought a flaring tool and fittings, worked like a charm. I stayed away from compression fittings due to all the shaking and movement of towing. I wouldn't run the rubber flex hoses very far. I installed stainless steel braided hoses from the tanks to the regulators. Make sure to leak test the lines, very important.

As far as having the propane folks custom make lines for you, some will and some won't. Depends on their policy of liability. It's a touch subject I guess.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My new Coleman has rubber hoses ran down the length instead of copper and I have had no problem. , but if you use rubber make sure it is the kind that is lined on the inside.

12. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

As nineoaks2004 mentioned, use lined hose only for a permanent installation . The rubber hose breaks down inside on the regular propane hoses that they sell off of the shelf. The manufactures recommend that you use a filter to keep the deteriorated rubber out of your equipment.

13. justincdst

justincdst Member

Hmm I didn't think of rubber break down. I have most of the old copper from when I removed the floor so I just have to replace the sections after the cutouts. Kind of cool each branch has an isolation valve. For inside the trailer is still ahve all the rubber hoses that came pre-installed. Thanks for the input.

14. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Be aware that compression fittings are not acceptable for LPG copper lines. They must be flared.