cordless drill for raising and lowering

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Brendash, May 11, 2019.

1. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

I have to amend my report: I had previously tried to popup our 10'-box Coleman in the driveway using a cordless DeWalt DCD777C2 (Lowes $100), and the drill would turn itself off every couple of seconds.

I later used it on a project, then recharged the battery. Today, I went back out and levelled the popup, and tried the drill again and... this time, the popup went right up, very quickly (I had to pay attention to not go too fast!).

Two things changed: the first time, I hadn't levelled the popup; and also, I mistakenly thought Lowes sold the drill fully charged, so I was just using the charge that was in the battery when I bought it (bad choice). Now that I've played with it, I can say that as the charge in the battery decreases, the drill does shut-off frequently when trying to pop-up/pop-down. I can do a full popup on one battery, but I can't popup+pop-down on one battery.

One caveat: I am using the "alternative wiffletree" sold on-line, which has about 1/3 more threads-per-inch than the OEM wiffletree, and I just greased it, so I probably have an easier time of it.

EDIT: Also, I did not struggle holding the drill still while cranking: I put my right foot up on the bumper, with my knee against the spare tire. When the drill tried twisting counter-clockwise, it just pressed against the side of my leg.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I don't use my drill to take down. There's no real effort with the assistance of gravity and with stopping several times to tuck the canvas it seems easier just to use the crank.