cordless drill for raising and lowering

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Brendash, May 11, 2019.

1. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

I have to amend my report: I had previously tried to popup our 10'-box Coleman in the driveway using a cordless DeWalt DCD777C2 (Lowes $100), and the drill would turn itself off every couple of seconds.

I later used it on a project, then recharged the battery. Today, I went back out and levelled the popup, and tried the drill again and... this time, the popup went right up, very quickly (I had to pay attention to not go too fast!).

Two things changed: the first time, I hadn't levelled the popup; and also, I mistakenly thought Lowes sold the drill fully charged, so I was just using the charge that was in the battery when I bought it (bad choice). Now that I've played with it, I can say that as the charge in the battery decreases, the drill does shut-off frequently when trying to pop-up/pop-down. I can do a full popup on one battery, but I can't popup+pop-down on one battery.

One caveat: I am using the "alternative wiffletree" sold on-line, which has about 1/3 more threads-per-inch than the OEM wiffletree, and I just greased it, so I probably have an easier time of it.

EDIT: Also, I did not struggle holding the drill still while cranking: I put my right foot up on the bumper, with my knee against the spare tire. When the drill tried twisting counter-clockwise, it just pressed against the side of my leg.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I don't use my drill to take down. There's no real effort with the assistance of gravity and with stopping several times to tuck the canvas it seems easier just to use the crank.

3. davekro

davekro Active Member

To raise a 10' or 12' box w/o roof AC, has anyone used the Harbor freight Bauer 20V Hypermax™ Lithium 1/2 in. Drill/Driver with it's small 1.5 AH battery? $59.99 On Sale to 11/30 ($10 off reg)
    https://www.harborfreight.com/20V-Hypermax-Lithium-12-in-DrillDriver-Kit-63531.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTYxNjI1MzQiLCJza3UiOiI2MzUzMSIsImlzIjoiNTkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk IjoiMTIxODYifQ==
    A 3.0 AH battery for it is $39.99, but is not on sale. :/

Those using similar drills w/ a 1.5 AH battery, do you get more than one lift out of one charge? What roof size and pup model do you have?

We do not camp places w/ 120v power. I do have a new Champion Dual fuel 2000 Inverter generator. I could get the HF $30 1/2" corded drill*. It would add extra step(s) to connect the gen, to propane and start it for raising the top.
    * 6.3 amp. Var. speed, has Aux. side handle. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-variable-speed-reversible-drill-69452.html

4. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I have a small Viking, I think it is about 12', with an electric winch on the front. I also have the Goshen lift system (single cable, no Whiffletree). I have used my fairly old Milwaukee cordless drill to raise my roof with an A/C on top. The advantage of my winch is that it has a worm gear drive on the motor with a 7/16th nut head on the end of the gear. I can raise my top up and down on one battery. I carry two just in case, plus the battery charger. I can charge the battery from a portable cigarette lighter plugged in inverter, or by my generator. I would only need the drill if my winch motor failed.

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Respectfully, IMO you're going way overboard in trying to analyze this issue of lifting a popup roof - no one here can guarantee any particular drill will lift any particular brand of popup roof, they can only tell you what has worked for them. Like it or not a power lift adds more complication and sooner or later you may well find yourself in a situation where it's not performing as it should, possibly leading to an expensive repair, assuming you can even still get parts for it. Second, if you choose to instead use a drill you're far better off with a cordless drill torque rated for at least 450 in/lbs. Unfortunately DeWalt has made this a lot more difficult to assess as they now rate cordless drills in MWO (Maximum Watts Out) rather than in/lbs. Also, keep in mind that with a few exceptions most corded drills are not rated in terms of torque and are a poor choice when we're talking about lifting a popup roof. Third, just because I can lift Fleetwood roof wearing A/C with my particular cordless drill that doesn't necessarily translate to you being able to lift the roof on a different brand of camper with a different brand of lift system. To solve this buy from a retail source that allows returns in case the drill you buy proves to not be sufficient for the task and don't buy on price alone - this is where you don't want an inexpensive Chinese knock off. Fourth, use a cordless drill for lifting a popup roof and you can also use it to operate the tongue jack, stabilizers, and even a BAL Leveler. Fifth, should your drill ever fail to lift the roof you can still use the camper - just crank it manually, it's not gonna kill you. ;)

davekro likes this.
  6. davekro

davekro Active Member

Your Viking has an 8' box. It might be 'about 12' tongue to bumper, but you did not specify what the 12' meant. I'm not giving you a hard time. It is just a pet peeve of mine that pup specs DO NOT state box length, but overall length with bunks extended. Box length, hence weight, is very important info. When folks say I use this drill to raise my roof, w/o spending several mins or more of research, we have no idea if he's raising an 8', 10', 12' or 14' box, not to mention if it has an AC roof unit or not. :/ (rant over ;) )

7. davekro

davekro Active Member

GreyFox.
    "you're going way overboard", an unfortunate personality trait of mine. ;) I appreciate your perspective. I understand what lifts one roof/ brand might not lift another roof/ brand even of the same size. I am just trying to ascertain what is working for others for their specific roof size w/o AC to have an idea how much $ to invest and on what AH size battery. People usually do not think to mention their roof size for context. Thanks for your response.

8. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

That's okay. But in my post in the info on the bottom it says that I have a Viking model Epic 1906, and in the post it says that I have A/C. But I hear what you are saying. No sweat.

9. davekro

davekro Active Member

Definitely Don, not a knock on you at all. I do go overboard on wanting as much detail as I can get...
    Maybe counseling will help. ;)

Grandpa Don likes this.
  10. davekro

davekro Active Member

And again, Don, congrats. on you and your cousin/ brother solving the elusive wiring issue on the other thread. :)

Grandpa Don likes this.