correct tires for Z71 Suburban

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by wolfcat1, Aug 23, 2010.

1. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

I am confused, we have a 03 Z71 Suburban, it weighs 7200 pounds. I need to replace the tires, a dealer told me to "only" replace with 10 ply tires. The present tires are p265/70/17 we bought TV used and suspect by the wear they are the original tires. they do not appear to be 10 ply..they are goodyear a/t's..our pup is 2600 pounds dry. Do I really need to go back with 10 ply tires ?
    thanks for your help. wolfie

2. Warthog

Warthog New Member

I have a Z71 1500 extended cab GMC truck. I ran "C" load rated tires for about a year, they were dangerous. You should definitely put 10 ply "E" rated tires on your Suburban if you are carrying any weight or do any towing. Your vehicle will handle so much better because of the added strength of the sidewalls.

3. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Scrap the "P" tires and get some "LT" tires.

4. Woodzeke

Woodzeke New Member

Somewhere on a door jamb, inside the glove box or maybe console lid is a tire sticker from the manufacture telling air pressure, tire size rating and gvwr ratings . The owners manual usually has the same info and sometimes may refer back to the above described sticker. A light truck radial should work the only weight the pup puts on the tv is the tongue weight which could be 200-300 or so pounds. The owners manual should have recommended type of tire.

5. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

the owners manuel does not note anything specific, it's raining here right now so can not chk truck further for the moment
    thnks for your help
    wolfie

6. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

sgip,
    what are LT tires ?

7. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Light Truck Tires.

-Chris

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Lt tire = light truck
    P tire= Passenger

9. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

so does 7200 pounds qualify for lighy truck tires ? not trying to be smart, just dont anything about tire ratings ?

10. d ackley

d ackley New Member

ok if you cant find any sticker on door jam or glove box, the only real way of knowing is to take the serial # to a dealer they can decode it and tell you what the truck came with, ie: p series lt series and if it has atow package or tranny cooler and the axel ratio. and yes c=load range tires (6 Ply) wo,uld give you a stiffer side wall, but will ride harder, when not loaded, how often do you tow the camper, is this the family car. what is the psi max on your present tires , tire pressure is a game played by the vehicle manufactuers, not the tire company. the tire manufactuer put the tire pressure on the tire for a reason , the tire was designed to run at the max, the lower tire pressure you see on door jam was set by a test driver on a test track to get good ride and handleing,braking. the higher tire pressure gives better mpg and better tire wear. if this truck came with p series tires you need to go kick that tire salesmans -ss, he is just trying to get a higher commision, that truck does not have the suspension to handle 10 plys my personal opinion is unless this truck tows alot (2-3 ) times per month loaded, then no my self i would stay with p-series tires, but get the highest tread wear rated tire , and highest psi you can afford, and run it max when loaded. and if the pop up is loaded rite, you shouldnt even notice it back there, if you really know its back there its not loaded rite. 60/70 %

11. d ackley

d ackley New Member

not every body will agree with me , but i have been selling tires for every tire company there is chrysler,firestone,sears ,tirekingdom,bfg,goodyear, i towed a 36 ft 5th wheel for 8 years and yes i did run 10 plys on my f250 camper special . but it was built for it, this is all just my opinion, funny story i was selling tires in palmbay, florida for tk, and a guy came in and bought 6 sets of tires and 6 sets of mags wheels, and had me put 10 lbs more psi than the tire called for, when i questioned him he said just do it, come to find out hew was an ex engineer for bfg, and was helping build the first electric cars, that were ever built ( about 1996) nuff said, selling since 1969

12. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

hi d,
    as i said it is pouring rain outside right now so can presently check for sticker info. what I do know for sure it does have tow pkg, heavy duty transmission cooler, 3.73 rear end. and whatever weight the Z71 pkg adds IE skid plates etc.
    again, thank you for your time and help
    wolfie

13. Warthog

Warthog New Member

I just did a tire search for 2008(I just pick a year) Suburban Z71. One of the recommended tire was Michelin - LTX M/S2.
    The specs say max. tire pressure is 44lbs., my Z71 sticker states the tires should be inflated to 50lbs.

The suspension can handle "E" load tire just fine, I have 250K miles without any suspension issues.

14. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

This thread got me thinking about a funny thing I did once. I took both the 12" wheels off my boat trailer to took them into my local tire place to get two new radial tires mounted. The guy mounted the tires, and came back to the show room and asked my what vehicle they would be used on. I pointed at my crew cab ford F250, and he just about spit his teeth out. I was just kidding of course, but I got the reaction I was looking for.

15. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member