Cost of wiring and hitch

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by mjburt, Nov 3, 2015.

1. mjburt

mjburt New Member

Ready to buy the 1007 Jayco I found, but I couldn't bring home as I have only a 1 7/8 ball. Just realized that the camper will require different wiring (6 prong plug) and another hitch platform (or whatever you call what the ball screws into). With a Ford Escape 2009 they have to rewire it FROM THE ENGINE and it's more complicated than I thought. Previous camper weight was under 1500 lbs I think.

Called Camping World and they gave me an estimate. Good news: they seem to know what they are doing and which parts are needed. Bad news: it will cost $700.

Any thoughts? Is a place like this quite expensive or is this just what it costs?

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

The ball screws onto a draw bar which then slides into a receiver hitch. If you have a current draw bar with a ball that is to small you can simply replace the ball. If the draw bar is to high or low then you can simply replace the draw bar and ball. $700 to change a 4 pin to a 6 or 7 pin(which is probably what you need) and add a new draw bar and ball is ridiculous. A new draw bar is $15 to $18 and a new ball is $9-$14.

Even f you required a whole new receiver, that is only $165-$200

BTW, Camping World does know what they are doing and what they are doing is making gobs of money off people unnecessarily

3. zorak

zorak Member

ok. first, the hitch merely bolts on and can be bought online for $120-140. They do sell trailer wiring for your vehicle online so I am not sure about running all the way to the engine. Then there is the weight of the trailer you are buying. Is there any extra equipment req such as an auto trans cooler. Since its the off season , maybe you can find someone to tow your camper home and do a little research so you don't send more than you have too.

4. gruss

gruss Active Member

way way way to much, call around to some local mechanics if you don't want to tackle that yourself. What wiring do you have on the Escape? if it works there is probably an adapter you can use to get it home if you already have a 4 or 7 pin connector wired up.

put a new ball on your current drawbar, or pick up a new one with the correct drop/rise

5. zorak

zorak Member

Yet to what Speckhunter is telling you. It looks like there isn't any way the factory bumper had a ball mounted on it, that was my original assumption.

6. mjburt

mjburt New Member

The wiring IS more complicated since the Ford Dealer said they wouldn't work on that year of Escape (somehow it can't come off the existing wiring - I don't know the details). There is a 4 pin connector there currently.

we had a trailer package installed after we bought it, so not like they are starting from scratch. I don't think this is a Do it Yourself; changing my oil is the limit of my skills. Plus it will take pneumatic tools; we tried like crazy to get the old ball one off and it is rusted on pretty much.

But thanks for info on costs; not surprised that Camping World is a rip-off.

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

OK, so do you have a 2" receiver hitch? If so can you get the draw bar out of it? Is the draw bar the right height for the new camper? If you can't get the 1" 7/8 ball off then just buy a new draw bar and ball as I said you are only talking $25-$30 combined for both. Pneumatic tools????

8. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

What are the air tools that you need and for what purpose?

Is the ball is rusted to the ball mount? Is the draw bar rusted to the receiver hitch?

I think some pictures would help us help you.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

$20 4 to 6 adapter

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow%20Ready/30637.html

if the jayco has surge brakes there is no need to wire the brake wire.
    No need to wire charge line.
    Ground wire goes to frame via a screw.

Change the ball if you already have a class III hitch.

10. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

I see two problems. First getting the right size ball and the old one off and second your wiring. Here is my two cents on the wiring. The same thing happened to me, I went to pick up my NTU PU, it had 7-Pin and my TV only be had four. I took a picture of each, drove to the hardware store ( that sells towing supplies) and bought a 4 pin to 7- pin adapter for $25.00. I then drove back to the PU, hitched up and plugged it all together.

The adapter will allow the lights, signal lights, and brake lights to work in your PU only. As mentioned, you'll need the full wiring on your TV to be able to use your PU's electric brakes (if it has them), and to enable your TV to send a trickle charge to your PU's battery ( if it has one) while towing.

In otherwords it shouldn't cost much to get your PU home.

11. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

My jayco has a 6 wire plug- but it's not round - it's rectangular. Nevertheless, the place I bought it from had a Jayco 6-to-4 converter. I wired up a 4-flat to the Mustang, and it works just fine.

Similar thing with the ball. No idea what size I needed. Dealer had the right size. took the old one off the mount (or drawbar.. whatever it's called).. put the new one on.

Cost me under $100 total.

Don't let em fool ya - you don't need it re-wired from the engine.

12. darkriftoflife

darkriftoflife New Member

to get it home is the main concern, however if it does require a battery charge line, brake controller, reverse light etc, a ford escape does not come with that kind of stuff pre-installed. if the trailer has the original coupler brakes are not a problem but if the pup has batteries you will need a line from the vehicles battery at least to maintain the charge system

13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

A brake controller only has 4 wires....A hot to the battery, a negative to a ground/battery, a wire going to the cold side of the brake light switch, and a wire to the socket at the hitch. They are not difficult to install.....I installed two thus summer.

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

15. dbldbs

dbldbs New Member

try u-haul

16. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

A friend of mine just priced out trailer hitches and wiring for a Highlander. $300 at U-Haul for hitch and 4 pin. $400 at a RV place with 4 pin.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Not sure why everyone is saying the price is outrages? The shop is going to charge around $100 per hour for labour plus parts.. So if we assume that it will take about 5 hours to rewire from the front of the vehicle to the back $200 for all the parts is very reasonable.. Yes I have wired a few vehicles and some can be much harder to do then others.

Just remember you get what you pay for..

18. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

One thing I would suggest is to get a look at what hitch they are planning on installing on your rig. My last vehicle I had a shop put the hitch on and when I got it back I did not and still do not like the look of it. As I drive around I see other hitches on my car that I like much better. I wish I would have planned better.

So, I suggest you look at the hitch they are offering you. Even better, watch traffic, walk around the parking lots and look at the hitches on your model of car. They are usually labeled and you can either buy it yourself or make sure whoever installs it puts the one you like on.

And wiring is a bit of a joke. My car had the tow package, but the shop said a wiring harness was another $50. So I paid it but really questioned what the tow package is if it doesn't have a hitch or wiring (I have learned it is the transmission cooler mostly).

After I had it installed I looked online and found the wiring is a plug and play thing for $25. So I paid them $25 to unplug and plug in a new harness. Yes, I know they knew what plug to unplug and that is why they are the experts.

On my newest vehicle, I watched the other cars. Found the round tubed hitch is the look I liked. Found it online and had it delivered free to my door. Took about 2 hours to install (The frame mount bolt holes were rusted and had to be cleaned. I used a tap to clean them after the first bolt took forever). And the wiring about 20 minutes after I watched a YouTube video. All said it was about $150 for the setup and my time. Four pin only. But I don't have brakes on my trailer yet.

Not that you need to install it yourself, but look at what you want and shop online. Etrailer is an advertiser here and has a bunch of videos and products to give you an idea of what you want.

19. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Do nothing till you do! or you will likely get what you paid for and not need it or it will be inadequate or you'll need to get it corrected ...

Does it include a 10g or 8g charge line? Does it include a brake controller? Which brake controller? Does it include the proper draw bar drop or rise? Ball?

20. mjburt

mjburt New Member

I DID go to U-haul; they quoted me about $320 until they saw the set up. Now it might be less- $220 something if I stick with the hitch I have. My existing hitch and connector are rated for 3500 lbs and both in good shape. They would just replace the hitch ball but said I could put on a hitch that is rated for 4500 lbs if I wanted.

They think the wiring is pretty simple to replace. He thinks the Escape has wiring in the lights he can go from. I have a picture of the camper's plug to show him. The U-haul guy seems to know what he's talking about so if it's more complicated he can do it.

Yep, sounds like Camping World is ridiculously expensive. [RTM]