Cost of wiring and hitch

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by mjburt, Nov 3, 2015.

1. rabird

rabird Howdy!

What is the logic behind putting a 4500 lb hitch on a vehicle rated 3500 lb?

What brake controller did ya get? Doesn't the shop need it to install and wire correctly?

Will it include a undersized charge line?

The adapter I linked can be unplugged and ya have the original 4 flat [:O]

2. mjburt

mjburt New Member

I ended up going to "Hitch House", which is a national chain. Guy was very knowledgeable; I was afraid that U-Haul guy was not really understanding the possible complexity of the wiring. Hitch House (HH) was great; they just replaced the ball and did wiring - total was $260 and time was about 2.5 hours. Got special instructions on brake as now there is a box near driver's seat.

HH also told me that the trailer brakes should be checked out; guy I'm buying trailer from said that they had problem with them seizing up once so they just cut the electrical line to them. HH said this means a problem with them and to get them looked at and fixed.

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

[:(!] WHAT AN IDIOT!

Yes, you will need to get the brakes fixed.

I wonder what other moronic things the seller has done.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

mjburt, glad you found someone you feel comfortable with, tow the trailer to him and let him reconnect your brakes and explain the break away switch to you. Happy camping [:)C]

Might even let him adjust the brakes if he does that but at least show you how to use/adjust the brake controller.

5. gruss

gruss Active Member

Never heard of Hitch house, but that seems pretty reasonable for a controller and the wiring, glad you found a good place to work with!

HH guy is correct, get the brakes fixed.

6. smsorange

smsorange New Member

I need to go from a 4 flat to a round 7 prong so my electric brakes will work. Uhaul quoted me $75 for labor and $60 for the least expensive brake controller (though I can get a better one if I want to). So, that's less than $150 if you already have basic wiring.