Could this be adapted to accept a T for a HP stove?

ezakoske

Nov 30, 2014
Escondido, CA
I've been looking around for a way to keep my auto changeover AND plumb in my high pressure outside stove. From the advice so far, it seems that since the auto changeover that I have has an integrated 2-stage regulator, I'd have to use a T adaptor to tap into one of the propane lines coming from one of the tanks, upstream of the changeover.
I came across this one and am wondering if anyone is familiar with it? It looks like it could possibly be split between the 1st and 2nd stage...
http://www.regoproducts.com/lpg/lpg-nh3-products/products/7525b.html
It suggests that the 1st stage reduces pressure to 15psi - the HP stove is a 16psi.
Kind of expensive, though.

Thoughts?

ezakoske

Nov 30, 2014
Escondido, CA
7525b-large.gif

dmitrym

Sep 13, 2013
I don't see how the product that you linked could be tapped into to allow a high pressure line. I'll subscribe to the thread 'cause I'm interested in a solution to this as well. Currently I'm using a propane tee which is quite annoying, 'cause I'd have another line from the tank to the stove. If you could tap into the regulator that you linked, the only benefit over a tee would be is automatic changeover (I think?). Is the effort actually worth it? Is your outside stove actually high pressure? Could you remove the regulator from it and adapt it to LP?

ezakoske

Nov 30, 2014
Escondido, CA
My outside stove is high pressure and currently is not connected at all....

My thought is that this particular changeover/regulator appears to have a threaded connection between the changeover and the regulator. I don't know if the HP regulator is integrated into the changeover or if it is a 2-stage HP/LP (the black part of the picture). Either way, it seems that the the 2 parts could be separated, insert a propane T and a HP regulator (if necessary) to connect the outside stove line which would allow for the changeover to function for all appliances.

Or I could go for the more typical option as Bupkis said in a different post:
bupkis said:
You could tee off one cylinder before it connects to the changeover, add a 16 psi regulator (difficult to find), and then connect this regulated 16psi high pressure to the outside stove connection. This means only one cylinder feeds the outside stove.

Just looking for options.... :)

rabird

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
My speculation is that it would work and the 15 psi is enough pressure for the stove to preform adequately.

I've been under the impression that 1st stage regulators were now 10 psi as opposed to 15. I'd want to know if rego thought the 15 psi was accurate and/or adjustable and comes apart, maybe they sell the 1st stage/change over separately.

You are in charge of the research and results!!!!

adrianpglover

Super Active Member
Jul 8, 2014
Texas
I think it would work for you. The only issue you may run into with being 1 psi down that I could think of is your stove may get starved for fuel when turned all the way up.

ezakoske

Nov 30, 2014
Escondido, CA
rollinsr99 said:
I am wondering this is what I'm looking for on my set up
It looks like there's no Changeover in that setup. At this point, since I already have a Changeover installed, I'm looking at putting a T in the line (similar to the picture above) from one of the propane tanks before it connects to the Changeover, and plumbing in the high pressure regulator and outside stove. It would only run off the one propane tanks, but the changeover would still work for all the other systems.

rollinsr99

Jun 24, 2014
Correct I don't have a change over , I would turn on one tank at a time till one runs out then turn on the other tank , so my problem is I have to shut the hole system down if I'm going to fill the empty tank . So I'm thinking that pic you listed would work for me with out the second part of the reg seeing I already have the high and low regs installed . Just put it before all the regulators

rabird

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
rollinsr99
are you sure your tee is not a check tee that allows for disconnecting a tank and still using the other?

ezakoske

Nov 30, 2014
Escondido, CA
rollinsr99 said:
Correct I don't have a change over , I would turn on one tank at a time till one runs out then turn on the other tank , so my problem is I have to shut the hole system down if I'm going to fill the empty tank . So I'm thinking that pic you listed would work for me with out the second part of the reg seeing I already have the high and low regs installed . Just put it before all the regulators
Yeah, I still don't know if the Rego disassembles between the changeover and the regulators, like it appears to.

ezakoske

Nov 30, 2014
Escondido, CA
Well, here is the reply I got from Rego:

"There are number of reasons this would not be safe or the proper use of this product. The first stage (auto changeover) portion of the 7525B series regulator does not have an integral relief valve and therefore does not meet NFPA 58 requirements if not connected directly to the second stage portion of the twin stage regulator which does per UL 144. RegO regulators are UL Listed and factory set and checked for proper operation. Any changes or alterations from RegO's factory settings to any RegO Product such as the 7525B series regulators voids the manufactures warranty."

The warranty part doesn't really concern me, but I see the safety issue with the first stage/changeover not having an integral relief valve.

Back to Ting of one of the propane tank hoses and adding in a separate HP regulator for me....

rollinsr99

Jun 24, 2014
Yea but you would be connecting inline before your high pressure / low pressure regs
which does have the relief valves .

ezakoske

Nov 30, 2014
Escondido, CA
Sounds like the 1st stage is integrated into the changeover on this one, removing the need for an additional HP regulator.

Here is what I initially asked:
Is the Automatic Changeover sold separately, by chance? No it is not - only as a complete assembled unit.
Is the high pressure regulator part of the changeover valve, or is it integrated as a 2-stage regulator? The auto changeover is part of the first stage regulator- the 7526B series is a twin stage regulator.

tacklebox

May 10, 2015
This is what I am currently working on. My plan is to connect a tee on both lines before the auto change over, than connect those 2 tees to a valve before entering another tee. That line will have a high pressure regulator connected then a line ran under the camper to where my outdoor kitchen setup is. Plan on mounting a standard male tank fitting to the camper. That way I can screw anything I want to it. My biggest trouble is finding short hoses (12"-24") with 1/4 connections on both ends. Have all the other parts ready to go or waiting on them to be delivered.

rollinsr99

Jun 24, 2014
tacklebox said:
This is what I am currently working on. My plan is to connect a tee on both lines before the auto change over, than connect those 2 tees to a valve before entering another tee. That line will have a high pressure regulator connected then a line ran under the camper to where my outdoor kitchen setup is. Plan on mounting a standard male tank fitting to the camper. That way I can screw anything I want to it. My biggest trouble is finding short hoses (12"-24") with 1/4 connections on both ends. Have all the other parts ready to go or waiting on them to be delivered.
Do you have any pics of your set up ?

Latest posts