Could this Dinette slid out mod work?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by moneeleann, May 18, 2011.

1. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

I have a jayco 1206 with the dinette slide out. Everything works fine. What I want though, is to add a section to the back of the slide out, making it a U seating arrangement, instead of a 2 bench configuration. thinking all it would need is a board and a cushion, and I'm all set... Is weight on the slide out going to be an issue? Was thinking of making it so the little kids could sit there, boost it up some, etc. so it would add very little weight. What do you think?

with a family of 6, plus friends, we never seem to have enough room around the table...

2. adamteja

adamteja New Member

I've got a friend with a BaySide and the slide out dinette turns into a bed... I would think adding a U woudl be more or less the same... go for it.

3. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

i dont see why not!
    we have the 1206 too and that's one thing i loved about the 1207 v. 1206 was the U shaped couch. but i *had* to have the slide out =)

4. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

Anything\anyone on at that end of the dinette will almost certainly be pushing against the canvas--not a problem in good weather, but I wonder if in the rain the pup canvas would react like tent canvas and leak when touched. Probably not a serious problem, but anybody sitting there would get wet!

5. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

You can always add a stabalizer to the slide out.

6. Manper

Manper New Member

I agree Matt O but on the flip side, being that most nooks turn into a bed i would think that this would be a sound idea but i wonder it the table would have to be modified since you've now made the nook shorter...in a sense?

7. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

i was thinking the piece he made to be the U part would be removable so when that needed to be turned into the bed the dinette table would fit right back in without being altered.

8. Manper

Manper New Member

i think you're right. After some more thought on the subject it'd seem reasonable to just put a board on that side but i still wonder it the table would need to be modified in some way as you are now shrinking the space? Either way, it's still a great idea for a mod :)

9. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

If you add seating to the end wouldn't the table need to be shortened any way?

Trim the table and use that piece as the seat, then the remaining part use as the table and the rest of the bed support.

Is that what your are saying, or am I just [?:~{]!

10. Manper

Manper New Member

I guess its just one of those mods I'd have to see. I believe his intent is that the nook will still be utilized as a bed so the mod, in my opinion, would go beyond just making it a "u" shaped seating area cause now the table, which mine is the perfect size, will now have to be altered to some degree and since the table legs are not really legs they're on a slide it'd be difficult to just cut off...nothing is better than a PUP owners ingenuity and their ability to improve on a product!! :)

11. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

Rainy all weekend... But I'm taking it out in the country to my parent's place, and popping it up for a week to complete several mods I have planned. I'm going to work on this....

One thing, my table has the cut off corners on the entry side. Not sure why, I'm assuming to ease getting into/out of the table. But a bit useless... I'm thinking of moving the leg and cutting that off, which would give more room on that other end for a seat.

I'm really only planning a small seat, not a full size for now, as I'll just put my 5 and 2 year olds there.

As far as touching the canvas... I hadn't thought of that... But going to think on it. Seems like another fold down back could be created... As far as water coming through... does that apply to the vinyl? I didn't think it leaked either way, I don't have the older, "real canvas" walls.