Could you recommend a Campground near the Statue of Liberty in NYC

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Noni, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

Hi. We are looking for recommendations on a campground in NYC that would provide access to public transportation or marina that would allows us to visit the Statue of Liberty in NYC.
    Thank you in advance for your feedback.

2. mdcamping

mdcamping Member

Liberty Harbor RV Park Can't get any closer, this said don't expect a campground atmosphere, it's basically a parking lot with just the basics.

Actually we have our 1st trip planned their for next month, but have heard a lot about the campground.

Mike

3. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

Thank you for the information.
    When you said you have heard, is it good or bad things?

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

$80 a night will keep out the riff raff. Very urban area.

5. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

funny you say that, because I don't expect to see green in NYC other than Central Park... and of course I'm joking !

6. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

From a friend's post on Mid Atlantic Campers site:

Liberty Harbor RV Park
    11 Luis Munoz Marin Blvd.
    Jersey City, NJ 07302
    www.libertyharborrv.com
    (201) 516-7500
    info@libertyharborrv.com

Available Wi-Fi
    50 sites (water and electric)
    Dump station
    Full restrooms with hot showers
    Restaurant/Bar on premises
    Ferry Service to New York City
    Light Rail one block away
    PATH trains to NYC - 5 blocks up Marin Blvd.
    (It doesn't look like much in terms of campsites. No fires allowed other than grills. May be on blacktop but if you are only using it to go into NYC, that might be OK.)

I called and got some additional info.

1. Open year round.
    2. $80 for Water and Electric.
    3. Water shuts off in October... price drops to $70 for just Electric.
    4. If they are full, they say they will always have DRY campsites for $55. No water or electric. No reservations needed!

"OK. Here's the lowdown. It is definitely not a campground. It is a place to park your RV so you can use it as a hotel while visiting NY. Sites are separated by the width of a car or picnic table, so basically on top of each other. Everyone was very quite during quiet hours - have to be or else everyone would hear all you have to say. You are in the middle of Jersey City. I forgot how loud a city can be - bars, sirens at all hours, etc. Since we were dry camping we didn't have electric to run a fan to generate white noise. So I didn't sleep too well.

The 5 block walk to the path was a little long. But even at night it felt quite safe. $2.50 for ride into NYC, then another $2.50 for the NYC Subway.

We had a very nice weekend. Went into the city to the Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italy. Had a great evening. Was especially nice knowing we wouldn't have to take the train out of the city 1.5 hours and then drive home. On Saturday we took in a play. Ave Q was having a special. 20 minutes before the show started you could get a ticket for $20. Limit 2. We were in the 3rd row. Had dinner with my niece who lives in NYC then back out to the camper in Jersey City. Took our time and headed home on Sunday. Only an hour 15 minutes drive home."

7. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

This is very helpful, thank you. It sounds like is a place to park rather than a campground.

8. flash82

flash82 Member

Croton point park. It's a bit more north on the Hudson but much nicer than a parking lot. :) The metro is right outside the park entrance.

9. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

We stayed at the koa north of New York City, they have a tour into the city daily, it is nice, you can also catch a shuttle bus in to the city from a nearby shopping outlet, either way you can have a camping experience and a day in NYC.

10. mdcamping

mdcamping Member

11. mdcamping

mdcamping Member

Just returned from Liberty Harbor and I have some info concerning the noise level at night. I would recommend staying in the front side of the campground, closer to the office/commuter lot, the noise level was was not too bad a night, we did turtle our hybrid but there was no problem sleeping.

Also on the opposite side of the campground heavy construction from the connecting property starts promptly at 730am and makes a effective alarm clock for waking up the entire campground....

Mike

12. ktharmon1

ktharmon1 New Member

Newburgh, KOA!!

13. ktharmon1

ktharmon1 New Member

Newburgh, KOA!!