Countdown is on! Who's camping Memorial Day weekend?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by cfmx, May 15, 2014.

1. cfmx

cfmx New Member

With just a little over a week till Memorial Day who is getting their hybrids out to camp?

We will be camping at Myakka River State Park. Can't wait to take her out!!!!

[​IMG]

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

i will be at shanengo recreation area ACOE campground in northwest PA weds- monday

3. jnorris

jnorris New Member

yep, Can't wait. First trip in my Pup.

4. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Me, me, me, me errrr us, us, us I mean (sorry DW)

Lakefront property at one of Arizona's most comfortable and beautiful spots...Woods Canyon Lake. I reserved at the Spillway Campground the moment recreation.gov reservation window opened back in November. Was waiting with my finger on the mouse for the primo spot. A day later, the campground was almost all reserved, whew. We are leaving next Wednesday and will stay through till Monday. Sure, it gets busy but who cares!? I have my spot, its not crammed in with others, it's right on the friggin lake. I'm going to be one happy camper kicking back, watching the local bald eagles, do a lil fishing, hiking and just laying around aaaahhhhhh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

I'll be camping at Brighton recreation area in Michigan. First time out in the PUP this year. Made a lot of additions I am ready to try out. Can't wait!

6. mjsny

mjsny Member

Yep..it will be our first time out in 2014. We will be spending three days in the Catskills. I booked the site nine months ago so we have a nice spot on the lake for the canoe.

7. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

On the few occasions that we have camped on the major holidays (Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day), we came to the conclusion that most of the folks out on those weekends do not camp any other time of the year, and are out purely to party. Even our favorite park, favorite site, was a bad experience on July 4. Now we camp just about every other weekend, other than the holiday ones, and it has worked out fantastic.

We like seeing others camping, but the people who fill state parks on those weekends are not like any other, lol.

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth? [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

I'll take the HTT up on Thursday night and go to work Friday, that way I beat the mad Friday arrival at the campground. We'll get back there around 5:30 Friday evening. I always get the first campsite in the loop so on Friday I get to watch people coming in clip the stop sign with their camper turning into the loop. That poor stop sign takes a beating. Then we put up with the weekend of crowded foolishness but our site is fairly private. The best part is Monday afternoon. We get to watch everyone leave and by 3:00 we are usually about the only people left in the entire campground. The week after the big holidays are the quietest weeks we have found, and usually lots of leftover wood to be found also.

9. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I will not camp or do any type of vacation on a holiday. I can't do the crowds or the over pricing they all charge. Even the tolls go up when your on the road. Like I'm not already spending enough on gas while my vehicle is idling while sitting in traffic and I'm crawling at 5 mph

10. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

we stopped camping on weekends and holidays and in the summer, years ago.
    in California, you can camp year-round so there's no need to have to camp during these times, especially the summer.

we camp spring and fall, during the week and make sure we're gone by Friday.

11. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

Yep we will be heading to lake Wappapello state park in Missouri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '02 Chevy Suburban
    '99 Coleman Westlake

12. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Do we have to have a HTT to answer this thread? [;)] How about if I remove the "H" from HTT and say that we're camping Memorial Day weekend, just DW and I. We're going to Kerr Lake State Recreation Area and camping right on the lake in Bullocksville Campground. We're so looking forward to it. We lucked up only a couple months ago and landed a lakeside site. Hope the weather is nice. Right now they are calling for a gorgeous weekend in the low 80s. But weather reports a week out are very inaccurate.

It will be interesting to see how those state parks handle holidays. Here at our local parks (Falls Lake and Jordan Lake), there is no partying of any kind. No alcohol allowed, and rangers patrol regularly. We don't drink, but I understand that Solo cups are your friend if you do. The CGs are quiet even when full. I love it. My guess is Kerr Lake will be the same, as they are all managed by the same state agency.

I hope everyone camping next weekend will have great weather.

13. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Since we have kids in school, we take advantage of school days holidays, so we can camp, including Memorial Day weekend. We'll be camping Friday thru Monday at Laurel Hill SP, Old_Geezer's regular campground. It will be our first time there, and we hope to meet up with him at some point over the weekend [CP]

Also, my Aunt and Uncle live in Western Pa and we hope to see them as well. My uncle has requested that Peter make him some venison from the deer he got this past season.

I'd like to take the boys to the Flight 93 Memorial site. Falling Waters is also on my list, but Peter and I talked it over and we think the boys won't appreciate it, so we might have to wait a few years for that. I know Peter wants to get the canoe out on the water and do some fishing. I can't believe Memorial Day is almost here, it was a long winter :) But spring has sprung [SUN], except today we have [{}=]

14. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

2 lakefront sites at Starve Hollow SRA. Going with my FIL and this will be the first trip we've taken where there won't be other grandkids so he should have all the time he wants to spend with ours. Still deciding if I want to make a second trip to pick up my dads john boat that's all decked out and ready to fish or just grab one of his trolling motors to hook onto a rental.

I enjoy camping on off weekends but I also enjoy the party of the holidays. What's better than to open up summer with a party? Let loose and enjoy it!

15. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

we used to vacation when my kids were younger because of school but they are grown now so the peace and quiet is real nice. they kids still however go out and spend time at the beach on holidays because the crowd scene is where its at for them but they do complain about the amount of traffic and everything being crowded. The more the merrier.

16. dcel

dcel New Member

Can't wait to use our NTU HTT ! We've got our lake spot reserved...

17. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

So apparently my wife's best friend and her husband own two adjacent sites at a private camping club just off the Skagit River. They've invited us out that weekend. I'm skeptical, because the layout of the place looks like it's either huge or piled one on top of each other. But we'll give it a go since it would be free camping, and my wife has promised that we can leave if we really don't like it.

18. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

[:D] Our group is heading out Thursday morn. to Lake Ozark, Mo. State Park. [{:)] Can't wait,, fun times [LOL] [}:)] and good food...

19. Powagoneer

Powagoneer Happy Camper

Big plans but haven't figured out where to go yet. DW's uncles 70th birthday camping Still a lot of snow in the high country! [:D]

20. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Headed to Basin Campground in the White Mountain National Forest in NH. First trip with the hybrid and that will be 3 days after I bring it home. So this will be the shakedown trip as well, so patience and beer will be mandatory.

[:D]