Countertops

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Buckeyechris, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Buckeyechris

Buckeyechris Member

Just curious what all U fellow campers would use to replace countertops. Or what u would do to them also. I want them nice. As I redid all my cabinets and soon will be putting laminate flooring down.

2. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Check out thepopupprincess.com. Loads of ideas there!

3. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

I would either make my own or buy some of the pre-made laminate tops from one of the big box stores. Probably just make my own so we could choose the laminate. Would not put anything heavy in there like marble or granite.

4. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

I'm going to use some of the butcher block tops you can get from Lowes or HD and stain them.

Sent from mTalk

5. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

i rebuilt mine using high pressure laminate (Formica) with 1/2" plywood as the substrate. I used the plywood instead of MDF or high density particle board to reduce weight and resist moisture. It's not a hard process but you do need a few specialized tools and know a few tricks of the trade.

6. Buckeyechris

Buckeyechris Member

Lumbergodd. Can u explain a lil bit more. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to mine.

7. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

Tools you could use to get by would be a circular saw, laminate trimmer, and a good file.
    Check out this link.

https://youtu.be/V5k08Vf7rF0

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

8. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

aschumann, that is a great little video. It touches on just about everything you'd need to know. The "cutting on foam" trick is one I'd never seen before. Brilliant! If you do use a saw to cut the laminate, make sure that the teeth of the blade are cutting into the finished surface. If you cut from the other side you can have issues with chipping. If you don't have a saw capable of cutting laminate you can use a utility knife or scoring tool to score the surface and then snap the pieces off. Be careful! The edges can be sharp. The only real difference between what she did and how I made my tops was she wrapped all 4 sides with laminate while I used a 1x2 oak edge and just did the top. I then stained the oak to match my cabinets. Instead of a J-roller to get a secure bond between surfaces you can use a short block of wood and pound it with a rubber mallet. Start in the center and work your way out to the edges. If you don't have a router or laminate trimmer you can file the edges flush. Cut the Formica just slightly larger than the top to make this job easier. Don't leave a sharp corner-sharp corners are more prone to chipping. I wish that I could attach pics of my finished project. My wife picked a stone pattern that had flecks of color that matched the accent color of our canvas. It really looks good and is way more durable than the factory top. Total cost was right around $100.00.

9. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

x2 on the hardwood trim face, can also then use a profile router bit to give whatever edge you want.

My father once did a laminate counter where he also put the laminate on the edge of the oak face and when routed the top corner, it created a contrast between the exposed oak and laminate on top and edge. Never had much success with this myself as always had chipping when the router bit was cutting into the laminate.

Another option I did recently for an entertainment center was use some leftover laminate flooring (cork snap together), construction adhesive it to some 1/2" ply, again, will need a trim piece on the edge. Makes a pretty water-resistant and durable surface.

10. 91Starcraft

91Starcraft Member

Butcher block is REALLY HEAVY! Just something to consider if weight is an issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Take a look at Onyx line of material. I used this to remodel my home bathroom. Counter tops, walls, pretty much any surface. It is very versatile and easy to install with proprietary silicone RTV. It is a material that is very user friendly. It is like corion, looks like granite, marble or just plain surfaces. It can be ordered in a couple different patterns (stone, subway tile etc) thicknesses and finishes (Matt, gloss etc). You can custom cut to order and cut it yourself for the finish. It can be heated where it is maluable and be bent to cover custom contours. For a counter top, I laid a 3/8" over the old one. A 1/4" backing would be fine if you were going from ground up. The material is very much like the surfaces in my Avalon already.

Worth a look. http://www.onyxcollection.com/

12. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I used Corian in the Cobra. Very happy with it. I got the material free, so I have no idea what the cost would be for a piece that big. Very easy to work with. That camper retired in 2012 but I think that counter top is still inside the shell.

[​IMG]