Country Fried Weekend Jan 13-17, 2022

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Hilldweller, Oct 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I had been teasing @Rik Peery about this "event" in other threads --- it's time to invite everyone.

Every year the members of the SouthEast Expedition Society have a winter bash called Country Fried Weekend. We held it in the woods the first few years but attendance got too large and we moved to a campground, then to a friend's property in the north Georgia mountains.
    Jay has 445 beautiful acres, three mountains with a long T-shaped valley, a lake, several streams. It's stunning.

Earlybirds who arrive on Thursday spend the afternoon shooting on his gun range in front of his house. One target is 535 yards away, mountain top to mountain top, so bring your long gun too. This is usually the only time we shoot unless the weather is bad on Thursday. We adapt...

More people roll in on Friday and we start eating, telling lies by the fire, some go 4-wheeling, hiking. Whatever.
    Potlucking starts. Is constant. Food food food.

Saturday more of the same. But the big potluck is Saturday around 5:00

We pay Jay for the use of the property --- not much usually. When he lets me know the fee I'll post it here. He has a few (5, I think) electric hookups. A couple of portopotties, one unisex bath-house with potty and shower.
    He's also got The Stone Mill which has two potties and a shower and usually leaves it open for us unless the pipes are frozen...

If you feel like coming, zip me a private message and I'll send you directions to his place.

Here are a few youtubes of previous years. Weather can be anything from 8 degrees and windy, 40 degrees and rainy, to 72 degrees and sunny.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    1380ken, Rik Peery and gladecreekwy like this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Wow that sounds fun, wish I were closer and had a more open calendar.

Weather in our parts that week can range anywhere from -20 below with windchills at unmentionable levels like -80, to 45 and sunny. But not 70s lol.

Hilldweller likes this.
  3. Hilldweller

You're way-closer than some attendees in the past. Had a couple come up to be by the fire on a lay-over at the Atlanta airport. One was from Poland and the other from the Czech Republic ---- they rented a Jeep, rode up, hung by the fire a few hours, rode back to the airport. Epic.
    But "locals" from TX, FL, VA, TN, NC, SC, AL, & GA make up most of the crowd.

tfischer likes this.
  4. Hilldweller

Here's the back story, the roots.

Late in 2008 a small group of Land Rover owners, young guys, college aged, decided to roadtrip to the Georgia mountains and go 4-wheeling/camping. They had a blast and posted it on Expeditionportal.

I replied and told them they missed most of the really interesting spots. One of them, Michael S, messaged me and asked if I'd show him around next time. I told him to start a thread and maybe more people would want to join in.

So he did. And lots of people were eager to do something. Many more than we expected.
    So many that I had to scout out a new camping location, one big enough to hold us all.

35 trucks showed up to go wheeling and 15 stayed to camp. Kids and spouses. All ages.
    When it started to get dark out, the food came out. The college kids, college kid budgets, had ramen noodles. We old folks said, "no way you're going hungry with us around..." and we whipped out the extra food that old-timers always have.
    Which turned into a giant potluck dinner. And then potluck breakfast the next morning.

And then we did it the next year. And the next. And so on.

Eat, drink, & be merry.

This was the first year: