Couple questions before I commit to buy/ Mystery wire

karrert

Feb 28, 2014
Hi. I just got back from looking at a 2009 Palomino Pony 2100. It looked very nice and in very good condition. They are asking $3500 which I think is pretty reasonable. Before I pull the trigger and make them an offer I was hoping to get a couple things cleared up.

Regarding the lift: It has a manual crank lift which seemed to function properly, all posts went up and down evenly. However when I was underneath the trailer I noticed a clump of wire sheathing or something that looked like rubber with wire or mesh in it. Are the lift cables supposed to be coated or are they just the metal cable? It didnt look like anything electrical and the lift worked so I am not even sure that it isnt something that just got picked up from the road

Next, what should the lift sound like when cranking it up or down. The only other camper we looked at had an electric lift and seemed a little quieter than this one.

Finally, this particular camper has the water tanks (it has a gray water tank too) underneath the floor. At first I thought this would be better than above the floor (ive seen them inside the bench seat), but is cracking a concern with it potentially being vulnerable to road debris? Thanks

karrert

Feb 28, 2014
Re: Couple questions before I commit to buy

Apparently the picture didn't work. Ill try again
y8ebuvev.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Jayko

Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha
Jul 10, 2012
Looks burnt...could it be road debris? Did you tug on it to see of it would come loose?

karrert

Feb 28, 2014
That's kind of what I was thinking. I should have tried to yank it out. I was stumped because everything seemed to work

karrert

Feb 28, 2014
I asked. He wasn't aware of it. He is an older gentleman and I dont think he was comfortable getting on the ground

karrert

Feb 28, 2014
I think that's the case.

The only other thing I noticed was that one of the four roof latches didn't want to stay clasped. It looked like the hook end was straightened out a bit and the clasp slips off. I think that would be an easy replacement? The seller said they would look into replacing it.
As far as the roof is concerned I saw no signs of leaking. I was told to pay special attention to corners but im not really sure what to look at. The caulking seemed solid and there were no signs inside the camper.

kmh1596

Wilbraham, MA
Aug 20, 2007
Western MA
Look up and behind the side boards and end boards for swelling. If it is swelled and/or soft, that is a tell-tale sign. Have any pictures of the roof clasps? Sounds odd, but if it just the clasps, those are a very easy fix...

I agree on the hitchhiker--looks like a fan-belt to me.

Loraura

Nov 3, 2012
to check the roof, with the camper raised a foot or so, look between the canvas and the roof. You'll be able to see the side boards and their condition. Look at the corners for dark soft wood. Poke it with a screw driver. It shouldn't be soft.