Cover or Not

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by lunchboxfl, Aug 4, 2013.

1. lunchboxfl

lunchboxfl New Member

I have just purchased a new 2014 Rockwood HW277. I would like to know everyones thoughts on if I should cover it or not. I live in Florida and want my pup to last. Any suggestions on beating the Florida conditions as we plan to use this often and want it to last a long time.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Many brands say that you should not cover the PUP with a tarp because that can trap moisture and build up heat, resulting in mildew, mold, etc. I recommend that you check out ADCO covers. They have them for various climate areas around the country. Most are breathable. In Florida you'd want something that can block the sun's UV rays. Consider getting UV covers for your tires, too.

3. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I bought a cover from Northern Tool and wheel covers from Wally World. The cover is breathable but not waterproof. Went to K-Mart and bought some repellant for canvas and it works about 90 percent so Im happy with that. I live in Ocala so I know what you mean about the sun.... My pup is 12' so I got the 12' to 14' foot one and it covers the a/c and tip of the tongue to the rear tail lites and a little to spare. It also covers the top part of the wheels. Welcome to the portal where u will fined a great bunch of folks..

4. lunchboxfl

lunchboxfl New Member

Any thoughts on those portable car ports. Like the ones that make an enclosed garage.

5. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

the car port will allow tons of air flow, but allow more UV and the opportunity for birds to leave messes on the roof. i use a cover, but i think both have lots of value.

6. lunchboxfl

lunchboxfl New Member

We plan to use the pup often. How hard is it to put the cover on and take off. Also any tips from anyone would be great. Now tring to find out what size adco cover to get as I have a hight wall with ac. Thanks.

7. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I put my cover on and off by myself. Takes about 10 mins tops.

8. lunchboxfl

lunchboxfl New Member

9. Dave90210

Dave90210 New Member

My brother and I both have PUPs, both NTU two years ago. I don't cover, he did last winter (against my advice). His is ruined, mold, mildew, absolutely unusable. Mine is fine.

10. MiamiCamper

MiamiCamper New Member

Florida? COVER IT!

I have my pup occupying one space of my two car garage. If I didn't have a garage, I'd get a car port. At the very least, tarp it.

Florida sun is BRUTAL!

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Got leaks? Potential leaks? Handy fixing wood rot?

12. Lainiest

Lainiest Member

How about Michigan? Would you cover since the pup will have to be left outside in the sun and snow?

13. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Cover-ish. I saw a nice use of tarps that allowed great airflow and I copied it. Once I finish the Grizzly Grip roof I will still use some cover. I am working on using some old trampoline bars to make a cover for the camper this winter.

14. LI Camper

LI Camper Member

15. lunchboxfl

lunchboxfl New Member

Do you have pictures or something to show what you are talking about. I have a Highwall camper so it is tough to find a cover for it, so think I am going to have to use tarps, but want some airflow.

16. kpic

kpic New Member

Try etrailer, they support the site and they are great people to deal with. I ordered a few things and as usual the one I needed now was out of stock. They sent me an email and I answered that was fine, but the bearings and seals are OK, the cover is for winter, shucks that was the item I needed. Etrailer had their supplier ship it to me direct; customer service doesn't get much better than that.

We live in a forest so mold is part of life.

17. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I tried finding it here.. Maybe it was (gasp) on another forum.

Basically they had freestanding what I have using my shed and another trailer. The water proof tarps are not on the trailer, except maybe touching the A/C unit. Using bungee style heavy duty cords I have suspended it over the trailers roof, allowing air flow underneath tilting the tarps to allow for the shedding of water.

On the one I saw they used a 12-20 tarp and had PVC pipe in the middle to basically make a simple shelter similar to the old army pup tents.

18. TraumaHawk27

TraumaHawk27 New Member

Hello, first time posting so be gentile. lol

I have a 2003 Coachmen Clipper. I stored it last winter with a tarp and was constantly going out to readjust the ropes. Does anyone have any idea for winter covering in PA? I was thinking about getting one online. I don't really have the funding for a carport or another garage so this is the best thing I can do right now. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!