Covering the PUP

Sinyk

Jul 8, 2015
Due to some life events, I have yet to winterize my PUP. It has been raining a lot lately so I assume covering a wet PUP is a bad idea.

Also, from what I have been reading on these forums, covering a PUP with a tarp is a bad idea! Since my pup is going to be stored outside exposed to the elements, I guess I should invest in a good cover?

Looking on amazon, the top rated cover for a PUP is the Camco 45761 which runs $139.31 CAD ($155 after tax).

Is this a good investment or is this excessive? I want to make sure it's protected from snow but won't cause mold and mildew to form. It looks like it is breathable and it gets tons of good reviews.

Any other options that might be as good or better for less? Storing it indoors or under a car port is not an option.

Also, for anyone who may have used one of these, if my trailer is 10', should i get the 8-10' model or the 10-12' model just in case?

Halford

Super Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
I made a mistake ordering 10'-12' cover because I forgot about the propane and spare tire. its like 14' rather than 12' Next time I order I will get the 12'-14' cover.

Sinyk

Jul 8, 2015
Maybe it was the ADCO covers I was reading about, but someone recommended against covering the spare and tanks. In my case, the tanks are off the trailer so it's just the spare. I think I would play it safe with the 10-12'.

Do you like your cover? Would you recommend it?

jeeper88

Let's go Camping and Jeepin
Apr 24, 2011
Ocala,FL
I have been covering my tanks and Batt for several years and no problems.. Maybe Im just lucky. I ordered the next size up. 12' box so I got the 14' cover. Fits the whole camper perfect. If u have an ac on top the next size up which is the 14 is a good fit.. Just my [2C]

Sinyk

Jul 8, 2015
I have a 10' box and it measures about 13' or so with the tongue. The 10-12 sounds like the right size for me.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
No matter what cover you go with or if you cover it at all lower the tongue all the way down so the water will run off. Also after a heavy snow fall go out with a floor broom and sweep the snow off the roof of the pup..

Sonshine

Aug 20, 2012
Maine
I know I will get a rash of **** for this , but I have been covering my pup with a tarp for 5 yrs with no problems. I cover the top and down each side by 18-24".The front only comes down about 8-10". I use 6-8' strech cords that loop under the pup and attach to each side of the tarp. Before I hook the front down I put a 3"x4"x10' wood block down the center under the tarp to provide airflow and pitch to the tarp. In my case I lift the nose high to allow for runoff toward the back. Until snowfall this will shed 90% of the rain off the tarp, what does go through will collect and run off the back. Once snow falls the tarp allows me to push the snow off with ease because the tarp is slicker than the top of the camper. I clean it off about every other storm depending on how much we get. In the spring this keeps the sap from the trees from sticking to the top and turning it black. Works great for me. Just my 2 [2C]!!

edh

Super Active Member
Jun 2, 2008
I have used a similar setup with good results. I think that as long as there is air movement under the top it works. I would note that your basic harbor freight or Home Depot tarps, even the heavier duty/thicker ones, have a limited lifespan as the vinyl deteriorates, and have to be changed out every few years. A garage or carport is of course better. I split the difference by building a little mini-garage over mine, which could be done about anywhere if you have a space 2 ft longer and wider on each side than your box.

generok

Super Active Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
I've been thinking of encasing mine in carbonite for the winter. I'm concerned about hibernation sickness though come spring.

rooftop

Mar 2, 2013
I do the same as Sonshine and create a ridge down the middle with a 2x4, which is off the surface of the roof thanks to a bike rack. But I have an actual cover, and after only 4 months in storage, it's in pretty bad shape. Looks more like UV damage, but we've opted to keep it in the garage instead since. We've been camping year round, so this saves from having to do a proper winterizing.

elkmontb10

Oct 31, 2013
I also use a tarp (heavy duty). Yes, you need to allow for ventilation between your pup and the tarp. When I first started doing this I got some of those Pool Noodles. Got some plastic electrical pipe (10' length) and slid it thru the pool noodles. I used two noodles for each pipe. You can adjust them were you want them according to the width of of you pup. Placed them on top from side to side, two were used one in front and one to the rear then placed the tarp on top. The extension of the 10' pipe keep the tarp open for ventilation and the noodles were light weight on the the roof.

Grakken

Jul 19, 2015
generok said:
I've been thinking of encasing mine in carbonite for the winter. I'm concerned about hibernation sickness though come spring.

haha

My PUP is 17' from back to front. 19' if you include it to the tip of the hitch. I bought an ADCO 16'-18ft and it covers the hitch (I also have an AC unit on top). I just bought it so I cant attest to its durability yet.

Aunt Ness

May 13, 2012
generok said:

Ha ha...love this!

Aunt Ness

May 13, 2012
I bought an ADCO 8-10' for my PUP that has a 10' box. It is tight around the corners, which I do not think is a good thing. Anyone...thoughts?

Grakken

Jul 19, 2015
For the corners i would find some kind of dense foam to put in between? Socal sun will destroy most fabrics within a couple years, max so if i can get 2 years out of mine, I will be happy.

Sinyk

Jul 8, 2015
Finally had a break in the weather yesterday so i went out and covered the PUP. The 10-12 model is definitely on the large side. If I wanted to, I could cover the entire tongue of the trailer as well as the spare, but I was afraid of what the wind/snow load might do to it if I covered the tongue. I just tucked up the excess under the front. The straps on the side work pretty well, hopefully those bendable hooks are strong enough to stay put.

The Hillbilly Hilton

Feb 28, 2014
I just use a new tarp from Harbor Freight each year. The airconditioner keeps it raised for some air flow.

But I do take the canvas off every season just to be safe from critters and water. PUP always smell fresh inside and the NY winters are rough. By the end of the searson the Tarp is shot.