Covid campers, common sense and The Code

John2006

Jul 24, 2020
I was at one campground and a car full of pirates pulled into a site across the road.. yes pirates... adult sized and kid sized pirates.. after an epic 3 hour sword fight that spanned two other empty sites, a couple of the adulting pirates decided to unpack and set up 3 brand new tents.. the rest of the adult pirates broke out adult beverages... it was an interesting weekend..
😅🤣😂

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Heres a good idea i think....At state parks around me they drive around and put new reservation tags on the poles and remove the old ones.
They know who reserved the site last...It's in the reserve america system and the campround has a clipboard with your name and info when you check in.
You leave the site a mess i think you should be charged for the cleanup...They can flag you and if don't pay for the cleanup and
you are banned from camping there until you have paid for your mess.
I camp at quite a few Army Corps campgrounds near home and have to scour the campsites for dangerous debris my dog might ingest. Bottle caps, pieces of glass, can lids, plastics of all kind, and all the crap the former campers tried (poorly) to burn. I've bagged it and shown it to the hosts, asked if they'd like a system that charges the offenders; they agree that they'd like that but don't think it will ever happen.

Jun 8, 2022
Arizona
Our last trip out was to an MWR campground near Flagstaff AZ. There were SEVERE fire restrictions, 0 fires of any kind allowed outside. There were 3 major fires within miles. The camp spot next to us was tenting, so no way to cook inside. I looked the other way when they carefully used a propane single burner stove to reconstitute freeze-dried meals. When they put a full fire ring under a blue tarp pop-up shelter, under a huge pine tree, I called the camp office. The office guy was pissed, but didn't kick them out. The main dude from the site went stalking around the campground glaring at everyone, like anyone cared he was mad he got called out. As he walked by my spot, I told my wife, loudly, "Next time I'm calling the Sheriff." His neck turned red and he walked a bit more stiffly back to his camp. They had a hen party, clucking loudly for a couple of minutes, then nothing. They packed up at dawn and left.

I had talked to them earlier, they seemed cool. The selfishness that has become commonplace is unreal, it MUST be addressed in the proper manner. Another tactic, that established the tranquility we enjoyed for so long, public shaming, the calling out, loudly, of idiots in public needs to be a thing again. It is genuine equality, be dumb, get called out. Peer pressure works, it got us to where we are, it can get us back. Don't surrender to them. Don't give people crap, but don't feel you have to take it either.

My worthless rant over.

MTDillon

May 2, 2019
Colorado
I camp at quite a few Army Corps campgrounds near home and have to scour the campsites for dangerous debris my dog might ingest. Bottle caps, pieces of glass, can lids, plastics of all kind, and all the crap the former campers tried (poorly) to burn. I've bagged it and shown it to the hosts, asked if they'd like a system that charges the offenders; they agree that they'd like that but don't think it will ever happen.
Last year our 8lb, dog found and consumed a discarded marijuana edible at a campground. She ended up in the animal hospital for the weekend, with a very expensive bill. We had looked over the site, because we find all sorts garbage and unsafe items these days. If we hadn’t been close to an animal hospital, she could have easily died.

Jun 8, 2022
Arizona
Last year our 8lb, dog found and consumed a discarded marijuana edible at a campground. She ended up in the animal hospital for the weekend, with a very expensive bill. We had looked over the site, because we find all sorts garbage and unsafe items these days. If we hadn’t been close to an animal hospital, she could have easily died.
This is becoming more common. The threat the dog is loss of body heat. Get them with a heating pad asap as first aid. The hospitilization is to keep them warm in a monitored environment, which is important. My dog ate some, cost me 6500.00 to keep him in an emergency clinic for several days. I asked a lot of questions about treatment, they were honest, we are keeping him warm and monitoring his vitals was the only treatment. Be careful.

ravsfam

Jun 7, 2016
I see it all the time. A car pulls into a campsite, the door opens releasing several small humans onto an unsuspecting world, the Walmart bag containing a tent is pulled from the trunk, and people start talking and playing music for the whole campground to hear. And with the way things are now a days, nobody, not even the park staff want to correct these people for fear of bodily harm.

OK, maybe not ALL THE TIME, but enough to see a pattern.

Maybe it's time to start issuing camping licenses. You have to take a test and PASS before you can get a license and then be allowed to reserve a campsite in a non-private campground. For the private campgrounds, it would be up to them.
I’ve been hoping “they’d” make people have to get a license prior to conceiving!
(I’m kidding, I’m kidding!! - Kind-of😉)

chiques

Oct 4, 2020
Heres a good idea i think....At state parks around me they drive around and put new reservation tags on the poles and remove the old ones.
They know who reserved the site last...It's in the reserve america system and the campround has a clipboard with your name and info when you check in.
You leave the site a mess i think you should be charged for the cleanup...They can flag you and if don't pay for the cleanup and
you are banned from camping there until you have paid for your mess.
I have spoken to a ranger checking sites after most have left. They DO call the people who left a mess and in a really severe instance, will ban them from the State Park Campground system.

poppy65

May 10, 2015
Interest in camping is at an all time high. I don’t have statistics to back that up, but the government arm that operates public campgrounds here (BC Parks), says as much in its 2022 camping guide. It’s also pushing a new so-called Camper’s Code as a result - a list of common sense camping rules the parks service would like people to pledge to follow.
How did we come to this? That people new to camping are so daft they need to be told “don’t litter” or to “take only photos”? “Store food safely” is another one. Huh?

As with most rules and signs and pledges, it’s those who don’t abide by such principles who are least likely to pay attention to such a Code.

I know similar themes have been discussed here recently but really. Isn’t there a better way to have new campers grasp basic rules of life outdoors?
You could be right. They have been telling people for years not to litter the highways and it hasn't worked so I don't expect it to in campgrounds.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
I could write a book on stuff I have seen at campgrounds.. 75% would be tales from the dump station, 10% would be arrival/leaving encounters, 10% would be sights "that make you go hmmmm" and the last 5% would be campground employees..

Dump stations are best though it's the one place you'll encounter every type of trailer towing person out there, from "we're just renting it" to " I've been doing this for 50 years" ... the best are new black tank owners and the "gamblers" ..

On the arrival/departure encounters, most are pretty tame, only seen it a few times where the adults got in/out of the vehicle screaming at one another or a kid (dog, cat). Most of these involve people backing in, pulling in, pulling thru (yes seen a few times that a nice pretty decent pull thru site ment for a 50ft fifth wheel was difficult for folks towing a popup). I have heard "I told you so" too many times to count ( going both ways, DW to DH and vice-versa) bestvone of those had to be a kid, just giving it to his parents and he end with "I told you so" ..

Things that make you go hmmm.. well, seen all sorts of "wtf".. from adults who dress in heels, pant suits, full war paint, hair all done just to sit in a chair around the fire while the kids make breakfast.. to lost kids ( same kid, lost for third time in the same campground). Too really smart co-ordinated raids by wildlife on the oblivious humans.

The "staff" portion, lots could fall under "wtf".. from a N.Y State Trooper who patrols at night without using the vehicles headlights, to park staff crashing a side by side right after reading safe bicycling rules to some kids, to having park rangers, telling a group of 6 adults it's time for bed at 8pm..

fastdixie

Dec 2, 2014
Kansas
I'm in the US/Colorado and for the past 2 years or so, it's been difficult to get reservations for campsites on weekends, so I (pretty much) only boondock now. It seems like the boondocking crowd generally consists of more experienced campers. Of course there are exceptions especially for areas that are advertised on the internet, but for the most part this is what I've observe
Just returned from a few days at a popular CO state park NEAR you. We reserved exactly 6 mo's out because everything was full prior. 6 weeks prior to our reservation we had to make changes to accomodate a family issue. We felt lucky to find ONE site with a 3 day window that fit us exactly, anything else was a one nighter thus three different sites for three days. When we arrived, literally the campground was less than 1/2 full. We still had nieghbors that moved daily because thier reservation could only be obtained for the one-nighters, while the site next to them had been empty to whole week. The system is broken again.

squirrelbox

May 15, 2009
I walk with my wife. If we are walking side by side and some one is coming toward us , I fall behind or go ahead so we are single file. Older folks are aware and like wise courteous. Very often younger people will force us off the side walk. Something is disconnected. The culture is changing. The young folks learned this from somewhere, so not just a young person thing. The culture is changing. We are being reduced to 7 - 15 second sound bites. Our self-centered view is spilling into every aspect of life. I am dismayed and my wife helps me to not become an anal opening. Its everywhere and we could spend all this year trying to explain why. I try to be a blessing where ever I go and what ever I do. I have a grandson now. Its important. But I am angry.