Covid campers, common sense and The Code

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
So I'm currently in the middle of a 14 day stay in a delaware state park at the beach. It's been an interesting mix around me, maybe more than usual. One of my neighbors was here this past weekend and used 2 water hoses to get to the hookup when 1 would have reached without it hanging midair no problem. The joint between the 2 hoses sprayed like a sprinkler the whole time wasting hundreds of gallons of water from my best guess. He left both the gray and black water gates opened the whole time, and he had a leak at the black water gate that dripped constantly. Yummy.

My neighbors across the street brought their bird and 2 dogs...the bird is stupid loud. And they bring it outside for everyone to enjoy every afternoon. They yell at the dogs (and kids) constantly. As I sit here, we have a 15+ mph wind from the south, directly into their open awning. If it gusts to 18±, it's going over their camper. 20220720_134800.jpg
I tried knocking on the door but they're not there. Oh well, people should know to use tie downs or put the awning in when they're no there to keep an eye on it.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
So I'm currently in the middle of a 14 day stay in a delaware state park at the beach. It's been an interesting mix around me, maybe more than usual. One of my neighbors was here this past weekend and used 2 water hoses to get to the hookup when 1 would have reached without it hanging midair no problem. The joint between the 2 hoses sprayed like a sprinkler the whole time wasting hundreds of gallons of water from my best guess. He left both the gray and black water gates opened the whole time, and he had a leak at the black water gate that dripped constantly. Yummy.

My neighbors across the street brought their bird and 2 dogs...the bird is stupid loud. And they bring it outside for everyone to enjoy every afternoon. They yell at the dogs (and kids) constantly. As I sit here, we have a 15+ mph wind from the south, directly into their open awning. If it gusts to 18±, it's going over their camper. View attachment 86120
I tried knocking on the door but they're not there. Oh well, people should know to use tie downs or put the awning in when they're no there to keep an eye on it.
I will be there in two weeks. Lol hope you uave a good time otherwise.

AstroBob

Jul 6, 2021
All of these rants just seem to strengthen the argument for boondocking/dispersed camping, no? I try to ignore my neighbors at all costs, lest I am accused of being what they used to call a "Gladys Kravitz". I think the modern day equivalent would be a "Karen". I have a few of those in the neighborhood where I live. Ugghh.

Mytime

Mar 20, 2022
SE Missouri
I try so hard to instill in my son to be courteous . He sees people do all these me me me things and I have to tell him to be better than that. So far it’s taking. He’s a good kid. Doesn’t cut through campsites, picks his trash up, quiet at 10pm. To the ones that scream at their kids the whole trip, if they don’t behave at home what makes them think they will on a camping trip?

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
I try so hard to instill in my son to be courteous . He sees people do all these me me me things and I have to tell him to be better than that. So far it’s taking. He’s a good kid. Doesn’t cut through campsites, picks his trash up, quiet at 10pm. To the ones that scream at their kids the whole trip, if they don’t behave at home what makes them think they will on a camping trip?
that's why I'm gratefully that I, and all my boys, got through Boy Scouts before the Scouts went "woke"....

Boy Scout Oath or Promise​

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

Boy Scout Law​

A Scout is:

• Trustworthy,
  • Loyal,
  • Helpful,
  • Friendly,
  • Courteous,
  • Kind,
  • Obedient,
  • Cheerful,
  • Thrifty,
  • Brave,
  • Clean,
  • and Reverent.

Boy Scout Motto​

Be Prepared!

Boy Scout Slogan​

Do a Good Turn Daily!

The Outdoor Code​

As an American, I will do my best to -

• Be clean in my outdoor manners
  • Be careful with fire
  • Be considerate in the outdoors, and
  • Be conservation minded

Happy Trails!

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
All of these rants just seem to strengthen the argument for boondocking/dispersed camping, no? I try to ignore my neighbors at all costs, lest I am accused of being what they used to call a "Gladys Kravitz". I think the modern day equivalent would be a "Karen". I have a few of those in the neighborhood where I live. Ugghh.
We used to only boondock. The north Georgia mountains were beautiful, hard to access, relatively remote.
Back in the day.
Then the Wildlife Management district lost funding, lost rangers, ceded much of the fine camping land back to the Forest Service, who graded it, made it accessible to the Camry crowd. Camping got more popular. Easier. Instagrammier.
Got hard to find sites on a Friday evening. Might travel two hours on blacktop and another hour on the dirt and find all the sites full.
And, besides the meth-heads that were already in the woods, now you've got the same jackass city people, drunk, loud, and armed.

At least I can get a LEO to a Army Corps campground if I need. I found myself keeping my shotgun close to the bed in the woods.

The good old days. The burgundy Jeep with a tent trailer at 29 seconds was our set up.

Last edited:

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
We used to only boondock. The north Georgia mountains were beautiful, hard to access, relatively remote.
Back in the day.
Then the Wildlife Management district lost funding, lost rangers, ceded much of the fine camping land back to the Forest Service, who graded it, made it accessible to the Camry crowd. Camping got more popular. Easier. Instagrammier.
Got hard to find sites on a Friday evening. Might travel two hours on blacktop and another hour on the dirt and find all the sites full.
And, besides the meth-heads that were already in the woods, now you've got the same jackass city people, drunk, loud, and armed.

At least I can get a LEO to a Army Corps campground if I need. I found myself keeping my shotgun close to the bed in the woods.

The good old days. The burgundy Jeep with a tent trailer at 29 seconds was our set up.

I am glad that for some reason Meth never became popular in the New England area. We don't have any Meth-heads in the woods.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
@Hilldweller

Got a new way to wake up. I get up between 4:30 and 5 AM. Turn the Youtube player on. Lay in bed for a hour. They have a new "live" channel with the new telescope playing 24/7.

How was Pisgah.?

9 days til I find out more about the surgery.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
@Hilldweller

Got a new way to wake up. I get up between 4:30 and 5 AM. Turn the Youtube player on. Lay in bed for a hour. They have a new "live" channel with the new telescope playing 24/7.

How was Pisgah.?

9 days til I find out more about the surgery.
Good luck, brother.

Pisgah was awesome. Except for the electrical storm that blew up a tree half a loop from us. We saw the bolt ---- boy howdy, it was loud.

tree1.jpg tree2.jpg viewfrommtpisgah.jpg

AstroBob

Jul 6, 2021
Back in the day.

Bummer about the meth heads and the ugly city nitwits. We have meth heads here in the west too. Fortunately, I haven't yet encountered them while boondocking - yet. I do keep the Winchester handy anyways, though. lol

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
The hardest "failure" videos to watch are the automobiles that roll in for some check or repair - and they are in unbelivably s..t condition in one aspect or more. - Totally cringeworthy. I only watch a couple of clips every month or two - stupid beyopnd belief is what the owners are.

Boating failures are much easier to watch - we expect those.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
The hardest "failure" videos to watch are the automobiles that roll in for some check or repair - and they are in unbelivably s..t condition in one aspect or more. - Totally cringeworthy. I only watch a couple of clips every month or two - stupid beyopnd belief is what the owners are.

Boating failures are much easier to watch - we expect those.
YouTube "Russian dash cam" you'll see all kinds of WTF moments... usually there is at least 1 Lada involved..

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
I will be there in two weeks. Lol hope you uave a good time otherwise.
Getting ready to leave tomorrow. Unfortunately we got some nasty tstorms headed our way tonight. Could be packing up wet tomorrow. Oh well.

It's been really hot/humid this past week, but after these storms it's supposed to cool a bit for you! Hope you have fun!

AstroBob

Jul 6, 2021

Once it's in the kids/schools it dominoes like crazy. I wouldn't mind a dose of vax. The pox looks nasty.
Well, according to the WHO, it seems to be confined to one small cultural group, at least for now. So there's that, but I wouldn't mind a vax either.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Well, according to the WHO, it seems to be confined to one small cultural group, at least for now. So there's that, but I wouldn't mind a vax either.
That's what I'm sayin' ---- it jumped. It was inevitable. Any time you try to relax the masses and say, "don't worry, it's just group X that's getting it..." all the other groups let down their guard. It always jumps demographics.
You can spread the pox with a hug, cough, handshake. And you can spread it before you know you have it.

Pfizer stock is looking good though. ;)