COVID19 - What NC campgrounds are open?

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by BillBlackett, May 20, 2020 at 10:50 AM.

1. BillBlackett

BillBlackett Member

I had 4 reservations at Davidson River Campground, but they are currently closed until 8/13 due to COVID19.

The East Asheville (Swannanoa) KOA is open, and I have one reservation there, but KOA campsites are small.

South Carolina State Parks are open, but they are not at high enough elevation to be cool in the Summer.
    I have only stayed at campgrounds in National Parks.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

2. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC New Member

From what I can tell you are supposed to call the park itself to confirm conditions. I'm looking at week of June 5th and see that plenty of people have made reservations. My understanding with phase 2 starting on May 22 the parks are supposed to allow camping, but again I think they are leaving it up to each park as to whether or not to allow it. I live in Wilmington so the closest "mountains" areas are Uwharrie/Morrow Mountain SP or Medoc Mountain SP. Neither or mountains, but at least it isn't coastal plain. The mountains are a good 4-6 hrs from here so it is a bit of a trek just for a weekend camping trip. I considered Croatan NF, but they are closed. I swear if it isn't hurricanes it is something else.