Cpap inverter power.

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Auggie, May 1, 2020.

1. Auggie

Auggie New Member

Hi,
    I have a 2008 Fleetwood Yuma.
    I would like to know if it’s better for the batteries Drain to run the CPAP directly off the inverter Alone or to plug the inverter into the power supply for the camper and use the outlets?

We love boondocking, but need the power so I wont keep the whole family awake. Lol

ive got 2 114 amp hr batteries. My CPAP draws 3.4 amps with humidifier. But I always keep the hunidifier off while camping.
    Thanks!

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Get a 12 volt power supply if there's one available for your cpap and run directly off of the battery for best results.

If using an inverter you need to be able to disconnect the inverter easily to avoid parasitic draw while the inverter is idling. A 50 to 100 watt inverter should be sufficient to provide 3.5 amps.

3. Auggie

Auggie New Member

Awesome thanks! I have an 800 watt inverter that has a shut off switch. It has battery clamps to attach to the battery and it has a power cord extension that I plugged into campers plug to power the outlets and my cpap.
    Seems like my batteries are discharging about 10% per night.
    I just wasn’t sure if I’m wasting energy plugging into the trailers 120 vs plugging my cpap directly into the inverter as the extension is long enough to run inside.
    Thanks for the reply!

4. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I would get a 12v adapter as a back up anyway.

If at home you can bring any 12v battery inside during a black out.

I use my TV battery, just park close to my bunk as a back up if needed.

I always shut the humidifier and heated hose off and put on airplane mode while camping!

Auggie likes this.
  5. Auggie

Auggie New Member

Good info thanks guys!

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Sorry for the slow comprehension. If you plug the trailer shore power into the inverter to use the built in outlets the converter will try to charge your battery, essentially the battery trying to charge itself. There will be some power loss due to inverter overhead and heat dissipation in the converter and your battery will be cycled more than necessary.

Auggie likes this.
  7. Auggie

Auggie New Member

That’s sort of what I thought might happen... looks like I’ll just plug into the inverter should save some power. thank you!

8. Auggie

Auggie New Member

Kind of off this topic, but will my batteries charge if I’m plugged into shore power at home? 8712 converter
    Or should I charge them using my charger and check before out next trip in a couple of weeks?

9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Do not use an inverter to power your CPAP. Most CPAPs operate on 12VDC power and you plug it into a converter which you then plug in to a 120VAC outlet. If you are camping then you can eliminate the converter and connect direct to the battery. Go to CPAP.com and you can find the appropriate connectors to do that. Running thru an inverter means you are inverting 12VDC to 120VAC which you then convert to 12VDC. Big waste of power.