Cpap- Respironics Auto Aflex Series 550

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Grakken, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Grakken

Grakken Member

Hello All,
    Hello Friends,

I tried searching for cpap and came upon many useful threads but not sure I found any that answered the following question.

The power supply reads 100-240v---2.1A and 12v--5A

I have been using an energizer 400W inverter, then plugging the power supply into the inverter. I am using a walmart everstart 27DC Marine battery. I noticed I get about 2.5 nights, maybe 20 hours give or take before the inverter shuts it down.

I called Respironics and they gave me this part# 1001979 (12V Power cord adapter)
    http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Respironics-12-V-DC-Power-Cord-Kit-with-Battery-Adapter-Cable_p_456.html

I know there is some power loss/inefficiency when the inverter has to convert from 12V. My question is, on the setup i have now (above), is it drawing 2.1a or 5a? If I buy that cord they recommend, is the power draw 5A? If that is the case, shouldn't I just stick with the setup I have now? If this thing is pulling 5a now, i need a new cpap that draws less power.lol

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Without looking at the specs for your particular machine, I'd say 5A would be a safe bet. You're not running the humidifier are you? Leave that at home!

I just spent two nights boondocking and ran my CPAP off of a 700 amp booster pack with a 100 watt inverter (I forgot to pick up a car plug). It works fine but that was just for two nights. The booster pack was nowhere near dead and I'm sure the car plug adapter would let me get at least another night out of it.

BTW, I shop at CPAP.com. Great service and reasonable prices. They've got some videos here: http://www.cpap.com/productpage/respironics-12volt-dc-power-cord.html#videos-tab

3. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

You need to compare apples to apples. The 100-240 2.1a converts to a watt consumption of 210-500 watts (There should be two amp ratings, one for 100v and one for 240v). I'd guess the amps for 240 are half (1amp) draw of the 100v. So use the ~200watt value. Now, at 12 vdc, it draws 5 amps which is 60 watts. So, besides the inverter inefficiencies, running on DC will consume about one third the watts of running on AC. These values are maximum values. The only way to really know what is happening is to use a VOM to check the draw.

Also, don't use the humidifier (I don't use one even at home). The heating circuit will draw a LOT more power.

4. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

The 100-240v-2.1A is likely the "input" and the 12v-5A is likely the "output".

5. Grakken

Grakken Member

Thanks for the info so far. I do not use a humidifier or heater.

If i'm reading Ljohns post correctly, I should definitely get the DC adapter. Even though it says it draws more amps, it is taking less juice than using my inverter?

EDIT- Thanks to Dubbya's post, i watched the 3 videos and it helped. I ordered the cables. I'm hoping to get at least 3 days on that 27DC Battery.

6. Dubbya

That is correct. You're wasting a lot of power since you're converting 12v to 110v using the inverter, only to take the 110v back down to 12v at the CPAP's transformer.

Get the car plug and take the middle man out of the equation! [;)]

7. Grakken

Grakken Member

8. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

I prefer something more permanent, it is always convenient to have a 12V outlet (or two) in the camper. Not to mention I have a dislike for clipping things onto the battery, it just seems so . . . uncivilized [:D]. Be sure to use 12G or 10G wire and a 20A fuse so as to not limit the current unnecessarily.
    http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Volt-Socket/dp/B001U4ZZPK

9. Grakken

Grakken Member

Well ive been lugging a 27dc around and just keep it on the shelf next to the bed. I really like this idea. I would need to get a second battery though to put up front.

10. Grakken

Grakken Member

Thanks for the links to cpap.com. I ordered those cables and was able to get 3 FULL (8 hours) nights rest..I estimated I could get another night out of the battery if needed. Not sure if it would damage the battery at that point though. Which tells me it probably pulls 1.5-2 amps an hour.

11. Dubbya

Good stuff, Grakken! Glad that worked out for ya!

12. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

I'm just starting to look at getting an alternate power source for my CPAP, and all the numbers and stuff y'all rattle off is just confusing! Please don't all pile on me; I know I have some reading to do. The main thing I don't understand is the need for the power cord with the cigarette lighter plug on it. I realize one needs a power cord. It's the plug I don't get. I see that the Respironics battery pack is made so that the cigarette lighter plug plugs into it, but if one goes another direction what good is that? I don't have cigarette lighter plugs in the pup.

When we boondocked a couple of years ago we bought a Yamaha generator just because of my CPAP. Well, we have used it for other stuff, too, but that was the motivation for the purchase. I didn't know about alternative methods of powering the CPAP then. We had one night in a park that had no hookups and didn't allow generators to run at night -- completely understandable -- that we weren't expecting, so I just went without that night. Dangerous, I know.

I want something simple that doesn't weigh a ton and take up a lot of space. I use a Respironics System 1 series CPAP with detachable humidifier. Is the best option to get the battery pack? Or is something like a 700 amp booster pack better?

Oh, and here's a question I haven't seen asked or answered, so I'll ask: Does anyone know if insurance pays for the battery pack? You know, so you can maintain your quality of life and all that? I'm asking somewhat tongue in cheek, because I imagine I know the answer to that.

Okay; fire away. Thanks. [:D]

13. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

The "cigarette lighter" plug is for 12 volts, which is the electrical system voltage you have in your car. Your PUP has both 120 volt and 12 volt electrical, like your home wall outlets (120V) and your car electrical outlet.

The problem comes about when you camp without electrical hookups, which power your 120V outlets in the camper through that heavy cord. But your camper still has a 12V electrical system powered by the battery on the tongue. All you need to do is power your CPAP machine from the campers 12V electrical system using the cord linked below. In my opinion, it makes the most sense to ensure the camper battery (or batteries) are up to the task and in good condition and have reasonable capacity rather than buying a separate battery to drag around just for the CPAP. After all, you'll be sleeping in the camper, which has the electrical you need already.

If you don't have a "cigarette lighter" 12V outlet in the camper you will need to wire one in. Use 10G wire and a 20A fuse. It isn't hard, but if you don't know how it is a small job you can hire out. I recommend you stay away from adapters that clip onto the battery with alligator clips, as these are just accidents waiting to happen.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/respironics-12volt-dc-power-cord.html

14. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I bought a group 31 agm deep cycle battery, clamped my 400 watt inverter to it and plugged my Resmed S9 Elite and my wife's Philips System one into it. I store the battery under the dinette seat which is next to our bed. I ran both of them for 2 nights with no problems. I used to use a 800 watt power pack but that had a 33 ah battery which was only good for one clap for 2 nights. The group 31 amp battery is rated for 105 ah which is 3 times the capacity. Word of the wise, I do not use the humidifier, it will use your battery up fast. This battery is also separate from the TT battery. I have recently upgraded my batteries on my TT to two 6 volt deep cycle batteries which supplies 232 ah and meets most our needs for a week. I do have a 2000 & 3100 watt generator that I bring to charge the batteries if needed.

15. Dubbya

The reason many of us use 12v outlets with car adapters is because it's much more efficient and will use less power. At home, you'd connect your CPAP 120v wall plug to a "brick" that converts 120v AC down to 12v DC before you connect it to your CPAP. No problem, you've got unlimited power at home, right?

To make the 120v wall plug work with 12v DC power in your pup, you plug into an inverter that converts 12v DC to 120v AC power, then the "brick" converts the power back down to 12v DC to run the CPAP. It works but it's very inefficient since there's a lot of power being wasted in the conversions.

This is why many of us install 12v outlets. You can buy a 12v outlet for $15-$20, find a handy location to mount it, run power and ground leads and be off to the races in under an hour. Pick up a CPAP car adapter for about $28, plug it in, connect your hose, slip into your mask and go to sleep.

There's no longer any need to use an inverter then convert the power back down to 12v via the "brick" in your power cord, so you save a ton of battery power and you don't need to drag along your gen set just to power the CPAP for the weekend.

Without a 12v outlet and given the option of hauling a booster pack or generator to power my CPAP for a weekend, I'll take the booster pack every time.

My 700 amp booster pack lasts at least 3 nights and that's using a 100 Watt inverter with the CPAP's 120v wall plug. I've never used it for longer than that, so I don't know if it would run my Respironics M series CPAP (without the humidifier) for longer than that. I know I could get a few more nights if I used a car adapter cord, I just haven't had to yet.

That might depend on your insurance carrier, so they'd be the best ones to ask but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Considering what you spent on the gen set, a booster pack is a drop in the bucket. If you can find them on sale, an 800 to 1100 amp booster pack without a ton of fancy lights and gadgets you don't need will run you between $80-$150. I would expect that the car adapter cord might well be covered though. Those only cost about $28 so it's not too big a deal either way.