Cpap running off deep cycle batteries?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by crazymama30, Jul 4, 2019.

1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Has anyone ran their cpap off deep cycle batteries? Will it last a night? Considering trying it and then using tow vehicle to charge the batteries

2. cuppajoe

cuppajoe New Member

We have two deep cycle batteries on our camper and they'll run my husband's CPAP for 3 nights, maybe longer but that's the longest we've tried so far. That's without the humidifier, which I understand would add to the power draw.

3. crazymama30

Thank you. This is good info.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Depends on the battery and the cpap machine. My old Puritan Bennet would run 3 nights on a G24 with minimal other use, water pump, minimal light use and no furnace. My current Resmed S9, without the humidifier, will run two nights + off of a G31 with the same minimal use. Adding a 100 watt solar panel to the mix allowed us to increase other use, still no furnace, and camp up to a week as long as we have average 4 hours full sun/day. The reason I say "up to a week" is that's the longest we stay in one site.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I'm just about to test this myself. I use a CPAP every night except when I'm dry camping. I have the 12v adapter for it but never tried. This weekend will be the test. I'll check the battery levels before going to bed and in the morning. I have a 120w solar panel which should replenish the batteries with no problem, although the weather forecast is calling for sun and rain all weekend. I'll let you know how it works.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. crazymama30

Thanks, I would appreciate it. I dont have solar but i was thinking i could hook the batteries to the tow vehicle and charge them for an hour or so a day and that should give them some extra life?

7. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I just researched this for my wife, who just started using one. With humidifier is 6.1A draw, at least with hers. They don't list it, but I'm assuming less than half that without humidifier. We are just going to book electric for our next long trip. But I'm sure our battery will run it a few days without a problem.

8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I have a Resmed AirSense 10. Her the manufacturer's description he uses .7 amps Without the humidifier and 1.06 with.

I run mine off of an ever start 1100 amp jump starter pack / power pack and get 2 -3 nights From the little battery on that before I have to recharge it. I don't see why a larger deep cycle battery would have any issues with it he adjust would need to charge up every few days.

To charge your batteries or even to run a small and I emphasize of small air conditioner you should probably look into a small inverter generator. I got a little non inverter model and it works fine for charging batteries or running an air conditioner but it's not as efficient as say the little sportsman 1100. Those Generators usually run for less than $200. And with light use can last you years. If you need more constant service you might consider going with something bigger like a Westinghouse iGen2530

9. Sudz

Sudz New Member

TLDR: You'll likely be good for 3 days without the heated attachments

Gather round.
    I've been playing with Lithium Ion batteries for a few years and still have all my fingers.
    I also made my Li-ion battery pack for using this during power outages/Tent Camping. (Looking to buy popup shortly)
    There's so many ratings for capacity for batteries its a bit confusing.

I have a Resmed S9 with heated tubing/Water thingy. At 23*c and 11 pressure (don't know unit of measure of that) It pulls an average if 65 watts. If I go without heated tubing/heated water chamber It averages 27 watts. The 120v adapter is rated for 90 watts

27 watts over an hour is 27 Watt Hours (27Wh per hour)
    A deep cycle battery is generally 80-100AH? (I dont know this for certain, I've been playing with Lithium instead of Lead acid)
    Lets say 80 Amp Hours.

80 Amp Hours * ~12V = 960 WattHours (Wh)
    (I believe Amp hours is calculated on a low voltage of 10.5v, which incidentally is when my Invertor cuts off too)

960Wh/27Wh = 35.555 Hours of run time.

This calculation is ROUGH.
    It only applies to light loads. It also assumes no overhead for inverters. Voltage drop under high load greatly skews this as well. But its a good starting point.

I use a cheapo "cup holder" Energizer 150 watt 12VDC 120VAC inverter. its about 87% efficient. A cheap Chinese one from online might be as low as 78%)

Obviously this is with a perfect charge, and fully discharging.

Basically I always stay within 50% of whatever the maths "best" case is. Leaves a float for "oops I forgot to charge", Inefficient inverters, and other variables. (higher Amperage draw at lower voltages, etc) Also... Makes batteries last a lot longer before you replace them.

Bottom line is You should be fine for at least 3 nights of 8 hours sleep without the heated attachments.

Hope that helped

10. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

I would recommend buying a jump starter which has 12v outlets and depending on which size you buy will easily get you through three nights. Without using the heater,