CPAP? what is it?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by bobjones1, Jul 15, 2009.

1. bobjones1

bobjones1 New Member

keep seeing CPAP on here- maybe I'm just stupid but what is it?

2. daddyzgrl1

daddyzgrl1 I'd rather be camping!!!

If you are talking about what I'm thinking, it's a machine that some people need for their breathing I'm thinking they are used mostly during sleep, but I know of some that need one any time they are laying down. There is also a machine called a BiPap.

3. bill623

bill623 Just a OLE Farmer tent camped for 40 years

Some people quit breathing at night for periods of time , could die if not used

4. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure = CPAP
    Continuous positive airway pressure therapy (CPAP) uses a machine to help a person who has obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) breathe more easily during sleep. A CPAP machine increases air pressure in your throat so that your airway does not collapse when you breathe in. When you use CPAP, your bed partner may sleep better, too.

You use CPAP at home every night while you sleep. The CPAP machine will have one of the following:

A mask that covers your nose and mouth
    A mask that covers your nose only-called nasal continuous positive airway pressure, or NCPAP (this type of mask is most common)
    Prongs that fit into your nose

5. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

CPAP means continuous positive airway pressure. It is a machine used by people who have sleep apnea, which are periods when the person stops breathing momentarly while sleeping. Many people who snore also have sleep apenea.The CPAP machine blows air at a prescribed pressure via a mask or nasal pillows which the person wears over the nose while sleeping. I have been using a CPAP for several years now and still can't believe how much better I feel from getting a good night sleep.

6. bobjones1

bobjones1 New Member

I see- guess I'm stupid- I thought it was part of a 12 volt system on camper cuz that's where I kept seeing the term-

7. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Nah- you are not stupid- you just don't have sleep apnea. Most of the CPAP questions were to try to get the machine to run off 12 volt as opposed to a-c.
    MR

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I started using a CPAP about two months ago and I can tell you that it WORKS! I wake up refreshed instead of feeling like I just went to bed. I have more energy, I'm a happier person, and I have even started losing weight. If you walk through life half asleep all the time, go get tested for sleep apnea. And get a CPAP, it will change your life.

9. IV Nurse

IV Nurse New Member

Second all the above. Just wanted to point out a small issue with CPAPs and camping. We were doing Camp Driveway and noticed that we were getting water not vapor due to the cooler temps. You have to adjust the humidity level on the machine for the change in temps.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

DW camps with a CPAP wired directly to the PUP's two 12v batteries. It works great.

11. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I wholeheartedly agree with Popupsteve-the same with me!!

12. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Yup, I use a cpap.........I hate it but it does make a difference in terms of being refreshed in the morning. Sleep apnea could cause stokes or heart attack and not to mention getting poked by the wife and waking up tired. It got so bad for me that it was causing me to fall asleep while driving. I went to the sleep clinic at the urging of my wife. the doctor said that they could do surgery......but it only had 75 % chance of success. CPAP was the less invasive method. So with that I use a portable battery that gives me 2-3 days use before I need to recharge. However long term camping requires that I charge the battery with my generator and I really hate to run the generator even though it is pretty quiet. I don't like to disturb my neighbours but before I run my gen I tell my neighbours around me. Most are amazed how quiet it runs. I am thinking of wiring into the PUP's battery to ru it if necessay. I only use it for lights and periodically to run the furnace to take the nip out of the air.

13. jjam

jjam I love camping!!

Take it from me, sleep apnea is a very serious disorder. I am one of those who had a heart attack. Now, with my CPAP I am happier, have more energy and feel more positive about everything. I strongly urge anyone who thinks that they might have sleep apnea to go get checked out. You will definitely be glad that you did!

14. Deadhead

Deadhead You can't fix "stupid".

Not only does it help the person breathe easier during sleep, but it also allows their partner to sleep without the INCREDIBLE snoring. She would stop breathing during sleep, and then start breathing with some major league snoring. If my GF forgets to put on her CPAP, Deadhead doesn't sleep! Now we can both sleep at night, and I don't have to worry about her having further complications from her OSA. [SNZ]

ZZZZZZNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!

Regarding the surgery...I know of three people that had it, without any success. They all ended up getting a CPAP.

15. CampinCarol

CampinCarol New Member

I just picked my cpap up on Monday and I LOVE it!!!! I am still working to get the right mask, but I am hopeful that when I have the right mask, I will get caught up on my sleep and not be so tired all the time. I was able to keep it on all night last night and managed to get a ton of sleep. Today I am buzzing around like crazy getting ready for our trip. We might actually get out of here on time tomorrow. TG for cpap!

16. Bearikens

Bearikens Starlight and firelight ... lighting my way

I've used a CPAP for the last several years and I love it. I have severe sleep apnea...I'm a lot happier not having to worry about dying during the night as my sleep study showed I was stopping breathing about 35 times a night. My DW no longer spends the night shaking me or the bed and can sleep all the way through the night. My newest CPAP separates from the humidifier and then is only about 5 X 7 inches (great size for packing on trips and to use in the PU). As others have said, you become dependent upon having AC power or you figure out a way to connect the device to DC battery power.

17. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

CPAP = Camping popups are perfect!!!!

JJ

18. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

LOL.........good one!!