CPAP with no on-board battery

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Haybale, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Well I got the 12v adapter (steps up to 24v) in the mail today.

Considering my pup has no room for a battery, I may just buy a walmart deep cell today and charge with jumper cable (or 2 small solar panels) and go from there.

I'll update here what I do or figure out!! And please keep idea's and concerns coming. I am very limited on space as my TV is small and my pup is even smaller!!

2. Haybale

Well this works for a test run, about 15 minutes so far. I just set this up for proof of concept, and will likely get a deep cycle battery or put together a Lithium Ion bank (light weight and long lasting).

0628171706.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If you have a friend with a camper ask to borrow the battery and see what it will do. Run the cpap on 12 volts a couple of nights and see how long it will last. Remember, the big power draw on these things is the heater, the air pump will run more than twice as long with the heater/humidifier turned off.

If you do buy a flooded battery make sure you get a box for it. That lessens the risk of spreading battery acid around. Don't know if you can access the interior of your pup without setting it up but you can carry the battery in the pup on your trips, just don't leave it in when in use or charging.

4. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Before I added deep cycle batteries to my pup, I used a diehard portable power emergency jumpstart battery. It is handy to keep in the vehicle for emergencies. With the 12v cpap plug I can get at the very least, 3 nights out of it.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

A buddy of mine uses his CPAP on the jump pack as well. He has only used it for two nights at a time while tent camping with the scouts. He did not use the humidifier. It worked well for him. I also have a CPAP and when camping I do not bring the humidifier. The jump pack is nice because it has the power point and it comes with a cord to charge it. Now you say you boondock a lot, if you have a small generator you could charge the jump pack after a few days!

6. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

i'll bring my jump pack for ya just in case...[CC]

Haybale likes this.
  7. upstate family

upstate family Member

We have been dealing with this for my husband. We thought we had it solved for our last trip only to have it last just one night and wouldn't recharge with our solar panels. We are pretty sure our battery was at the end of its life so we now have a new battery. Will let you know how it works after our next trip. He has the 12v adapter for it. We expect with the solar panel charging the battery we should be good as long as we have sun.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Another alternative, IMO way overpriced but shouldn't be hard for the DIY minded to replicate with a battery box and a plastic box mounted on top to house a battery minder and a couple of connection inputs.

9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm confused by the "my trailer doesn't have a place for the battery". Mine didn't really either, but it came wired for it to sit on the tongue. So I bought a battery box and bolted it to the tongue. Not sure why this wouldn't work for just about any trailer, unless you've already commandeered the entire tongue space.

10. Haybale

After the propane tank, there is no room for a battery. I do not have an A frame up front, just a single 3x3 (guessing on the size) tube. This is for a 1973 Montgomery Ward, besides my tongue weight is only about 150lbs for the TV, I don't have much more weight room even if I did have room.

No generator. either.

Thanks, I made due with a couple sealed lead acid batteries and a small solar panel. I'll double up on the batteries and the panel and should be good to go. I shut off the humidifier, heated hose, and set it to air plane mode (has a built in wireless AT&T device). I will install inline fuses per battery and either run 2 of these small panels or get a 10w folding panel. This set-up would run 3 or so hours and be at 10.6v by morning and be back to 12.9 by dark.

Another option is to just park the car close enough and use that battery, park it down hill and pop the clutch to start if need be.

0630170935.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  11. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Can you mount a battery box (or ammo box) to the back of the trailer?

(Put enough weight back there and get the tongue weight to zero...:rolleyes:)

12. Boatnman

Any updates Haybale? How's your system working? DW has a CPAP so I'm thinking about a separate system like yours.

13. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I just got back from a three night trip with a Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP machine. I have a Walmart RV battery and the cheap Harbor Freight 45W solar panels to recharge the battery during the day. I bought the cover plate to replace the humidifier tank and the 12 VDC adapter from www.cpap.com since I knew I was not going to be using the humidifier while camping and it all worked great. The only complaint I have is that the Harbor Freight solar panel is big and heavy. Long term I want to get one of the suitcase solar solutions, like the Renology.

Troy_grover and Haybale like this.
  14. Haybale

I was able to keep the CPAP powered for 2+ hours (I take the mask off without knowing at night) on that small battery pack. So I may just run it off my car and go for a short drive during the day. Easiest and cheapest option. Just park it pointed down hill to pop the clutch if needed...

15. Boatnman

Thanks for the update! I really don't want to carry a second deep cycle battery, but that's looking like the best option for now. I suppose I can recharge it with jumper cables everyday. (Or maybe use the TV 7-pin...)

16. Haybale

Get a small harbor freight solar panel.

The nightly use with the humidifier, heated hose, and data (air plane mode) turned off should be about 5Ah/hour so 40 Ah a night, that is very doable for a couple nights on a deep cycle.

17. Boatnman

Thanks for the information!

18. Haybale

0729170745.jpg I got the new 'pillow' mask and actually kept it on for over 5 hours and the cpap ran and still had battery left in the morning.

At home I rarely keep the mask on more than 1 maybe 2 hours. So maybe my doctor needs to prescribe me to go camping more... Lol

19. Troy_grover

Troy_grover New Member

Haybale I have the same cpap. I tried a deep cell 12v 35amp battery and couldn't get enough airflow and my oxygen level dropped. Any ideas why this would happen? Humidifier and hose were turned off.

20. Haybale

No clue. Maybe your settings are much higher than mine.

Would it work at all or just a short time?

Mine are 7ah each so 14ah and I get over 5 hours of use.