CPAP

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by HappyCamperCanada, May 11, 2020.

1. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

Yes, I read all the previous posts (well, a bazillion of them) about cpaps and boondocking. And now I'm more confused! Which is why I started another thread! Yay, just what everyone wanted.

I will be off grid all summer and want to use my CPAP.

The CPAP is a Phillips Respironics DreamStation. I never use the humidifier. On the bottom it says 12V~6.67A. I read that they use between 30 and 60 watts.

My pup has 2 24group batteries (80 amphours each).

I have a 500W inverter.

I have a 2000W inverter generator but dont want to run it all night. I'll use it to recharge my batteries during the day if my solar setup (50W panel) doesn't do the job.

So my question is, will the 2 24group batteries power the CPAP all night (10hrs) without depleting too much battery? Batteries shouldnt go below 80% charged, correct?

I had another idea... I could buy another battery solely dedicated to the CPAP. (what's the best battery to buy for this purpose?). And I could buy a DC power cord/adapter for the CPAP. I dont really want to buy more "stuff" though if my current set-up will work.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

How critical is the CPAP for you? Is it belt and suspenders critical or hell I'll just go without it tonight critical? Will you be using any other devices like fans? You can go 50% with your battery. We can do some calculations from there.

3. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

It's not life and death. I can go without it for short periods. But I plan to be camping from mid June to end of August on our land which is unserviced. That's a long time to go without.

The CPAP will be the only thing running at night.

4. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I'm also assuming it will not be overly hot where you are staying (90 degrees or more F). And without the humidifier, you will be OK but will need to charge every day. I'm certain someone else can run the numbers and confirm.

5. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

Not overly warm. 80ish during the day. 70s at night. I never use the humidifier.

6. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Hi there,
    I'm new the the total dry camping / boondocking thing, but I finally got a 3500W dual fuel generator and a Group 31 battery so I could use my CPAP overnight as well. I use an older Respironics unit that draws about 5 amps/Hr without the humidifier. I finally got to test the system last fall. It got me through each night no problem. Yes, I re-charged the next day for a few hours in the AM. Can't actually remember how deep the draw was, but it was well within the 50% rule. IMHO, i think you'll be fine without a dedicated battery for the CPAP as long as your not burning thru a bunch more amps at night than your CPAP requires. Ken

HappyCamperCanada likes this.
  7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

What's your plan for recharging the batteries each day?

8. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

Depends how low they get with the cpap running. 50W solar panel if it's not too bad and if it's good and sunny. 2000W generator if the solar panel doesn't do the trick (Champion inverter generator).

Attached Files:

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have boondocked with my CPAP often. Plan on charging the batteries every day. Two nights on one charge is asking the battery to do a lot.The DW and I both have CPAP's and we use two dedicated batteries connected in parallel to run them.

I use a genny to recharge. I plug the pup into the genny and charge EVERYTHING (pup battery, cell phone, etc.) in 3 to 3.5 hours. I use a separate charger for the CPAP batteries while every thing is hooked up to the genny. Easy peazy.

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Better do some test runs, even if it's camp driveway.

A CPAP can drain the batteries really quick, like you'll get one night out of them, if that. If the CPAP is not designed to work from DC and you are using an inverter, you're in for a surprise in the morning.

11. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

That's why I'm toying with the idea of buying another battery dedicated to the cpap. And a DC power cord/adapter to run it directly off that battery, so it doesn't require an inverter which uses more juice. I can get the power cord/adapter from Amazon (pic attached). I'll test the cpap with my current setup before buying anything. If I decide to buy a third, dedicated cpap battery, what would be the recommendation? 27 group? More?

Attached Files:

12. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Test your current setup before buying another battery.

14. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

I have one of these... I know it's not fancy but I can check the batteries pretty quick with it. Screenshot_20200512_170517_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

15. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

This works via Bluetooth to your smartphone and keeps a log of the battery health. I forget how many days worth of data it saves before transferring it to your smartphone but it's a lot.

This way you can see how your batteries handled the CPAP through the night.

16. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I'm not certain that going from two batteries to one is a step forward. If a anything keep the two for the CPAP and use the new one for everything else.

HappyCamperCanada and PopUpSteve like this.
  17. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I strongly agree with @PopUpSteve . Do a test run.

That is what I did with my CPAP. I already had everything I needed (Group 27 battery, 800W inverter). Just brought them into the bedroom, hooked'em up, and went to bed.

I would hesitate to buy a group 24 battery if you go that way. Group 27 with a minimum of 100ah would be a much better choice.

18. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I get 2 nights of use out of this per charge.

If going to be out for more than 2 days, I charge with a 20w solar panel plugged into the 12v port. It also has a male to male cord to plug into the TV to charge while going for a drive if needed.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-...S_YSH1d5yDaKjfAR9n00Uq9p3JFFuRahoCHAsQAvD_BwE

I do not know the size of the battery, but I am sure it is way smaller than your 2 group 24s.

I have a humidifier bypass, I don't even use the humidifier at home, and shut the heated hose off, also place on airplane mode.

I have a Airsense ResMed 10.

19. Decker

Decker Member

Do yourself a favor and buy a dedicated 12volt CPAP. I use my old RemStar that has a 12volt optional cord. Before I had my PUP (two 6volt GC2s 225 amp hr each), I had a single deep cycle group 34 battery that would last me 5-6 days. I'm actually thinking about going back to the single "portable" battery, as it seems to last longer.

20. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I use a Phillips Airsense 10 with the 12 vdc cord and I can get three nights on my battery. Don’t use an inverter if you can avoid it, they drain a lot of power.