CPAP

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by HappyCamperCanada, May 11, 2020.

1. James A. Doherty

James A. Doherty New Member

2. skierd

skierd New Member

@HappyCamperCanada i have the same CPAP. If camping away from 120v power, I use just the machine, the Phillips 12v cord, connect to a small 35AH AGM battery bought specifically for camping with my cpap before we had the trailer. I easily get three nights from the 35AH battery so long as I remember to turn off the Bluetooth and modem. It’s noisier without the humidifier but a q-tube muffler helps.

I don’t believe you can use the humidifier with this setup but I haven’t tried. The humidifier uses a ton of electricity. According to this calculator:
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/calculator-sizing-a-battery-to-a-load.html

You’ll need a 116ah to run the cpap plus humidifier all night at max output. You’ll probably need less if you run a lower humidifier setting and don’t have a heated hose.

3. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

Update: I got one of these (see pic). It was free! Friend wasn't Screenshot_20200915_085805_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg using it anymore. Only had to charge it with the generator every couple of weeks. Even then it was only down to about 85%. Ran the cpap without humidifier. That's all the battery was used for.

Haybale and skierd like this.
  4. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

The square box on my Bi-pap said 12V in small letters so I called the MFG. and they had a wire that that eliminated the 120v part and would plug into a round power point adaptor so I un plug the 120 stuff and go direct to the 12V plug in my PUP. I figured it would be more efficient to use straight 12V power rather than converting to 120 then back down to 12. I have heard that they are not all 12V so you need to see what you have first. There are people on here that know way more than me about electricity and maybe one of them could shed more light on this. Per the amp draw on the CPAP it should run all night on a decent 24 group DC battery.

Haybale likes this.
  5. 2000skamperSPORTm17A

2000skamperSPORTm17A New Member Silver Supporting Member

6. 2000skamperSPORTm17A

2000skamperSPORTm17A New Member Silver Supporting Member

Wish I had noticed your question earlier: I respond now for others. The wife & I both use cPap machines and like to boondock. I carefully researched commonly available machines and readily decided on "DreamStation" (Respironics by Philips) because of #1120746 (dreamstation-shielded-dc-cord) accessory. Technician (reached via Customer Service) emailed me UNofficial specs on current drain (attached).

Direct DC is MUCH more efficient than inverter. Remove the humidifier section; it heats, sucking power.

We charge our Duracell ULTRA (SLI24MDC) with 80w solar panel.

Breathe easy....sleep soundly!

Attached Files:

7. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

I use a portable power supply I got at Harbor Freight. Has 12v cigarette lighter outlets. If you turn off the heater on the CPAP you can get two nights easily. A bigger power supply, preferably a lithium, will get you even more. This way your native system is untouched.

8. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

I called Phillips because mine was 12 v also. I bought a cord that did away with the 120v converter and plugged straight into a 12 v outlet. The plug was cheap. I don't know how much a converter draws converting to 120 or the converter in the line wastes but I could sleep all night easy. I originally bought the plug for sleeping on the boat offshore and I never had a issue cranking the engine that whose battery I used for the CPAP. I never would risk killing both batteries so I did fine. If nothing else try it on one and see.

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I know I am late to the party on this one, but I used the 1100 watt version of this jump starter. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EVERSTAR...uty-Clamps-w-Reverse-Polarity-Alarm/948525577 that would previously last 2 -3 nights prior to the great Texas ice storm, where my wife decided it was needed to keep her phone charged. Ooops...

Anyway, I grabbed a deep cycle RV battery, no clue what the group number is sorry. Anyway, it lasted all 4 nights I was without power, and was still at 12.8v charge.

I DID use my travel CPAP though and avoided my AirSense 10, but instead used the Z2...

10. JAM21

JAM21 New Member

This worked well for my CPAP needing 24V to run: Eliminate the power robbing 120V to 12V. Purchased a small 12V to 24V step-up transformer chip- extremely efficient, can run all week. Reasonable price on Amazon- Solder, or wire nut a few wires and perfect.
    DC 12v Step up to 24v Converter Regulator 5A 120W Power Supply Adapter for Motor Car Truck Vehicle Boat Solar System etc.(Accept DC9-20V Inputs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EFUHFW...abc_BTZQQTG680DK0BKZD121?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1