Cracking ABS roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by DansAndDogs, Jan 2, 2009.

1. DansAndDogs

DansAndDogs New Member

I am the lucky recipient of a cracking ABS Coleman roof. I was wondering if anyone had tried using rubber membrane roofing to cover the ABS roof. It appears I don't have issues with the sagging,just lots of cracks that grow bigger. I've been patching these with fiberglass repair, but at this rate, the whole roof will be fiberglass by the time I'm done. Just wondering what folks thought about trying the rubber membrane (it glues down, and bonds to about anything). Penny for your thoughts......

2000 Coleman Utah
    2006 Town & Country
    Me, the Wife, our daughter and 3 dogs

2. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

Hi i have used the rubber membrane on my 94 dutchmen when i had it it did ok for a time but glue did not hold it to the abs roof i had this big air bubble when going down the road. is the roof one pice roof ?? on the coleman if you can post a pic of the roof and i can tell more if it well work.

3. srds

srds Freeport,Texas

Friends of ours used hot glue gun and it's holding up nicely,give it a try and let us know.

me-49
    dw 43
    dd 13
    ds 5
    2006 Fleetwood Williamsburg
    1997 24' prowler
    days camped in 08=35

4. 78Venture

78Venture New Member

Fibreglass patches won't hold up in the long run.Check out apachepopups.net for a better solution.These older trailers are all abs plastic and the trick is to drill tiny holes at the end of cracks to stop them from spreading and fill in with a goop made from abs shavings and MEK solvent.

5. DansAndDogs

DansAndDogs New Member

The roof is one piece. I'll post s pic. I read about the fix using the "goop", the problem is: I can't keep up with all the new cracks. I just bought it last summer, it's an 01'. The weird thing is it only had like 2 cracks then, now they're everywhere.

2000 Coleman Utah
    2006 Town & Country
    Me, the Wife, our daughter and 3 dogs