Cracks in body plastic

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by timothias, May 10, 2014.

1. timothias

timothias New Member

Hey all. I bought the PUP last season, and it had some small cracks in the plastic front and rear ends (on the body). The cracks started small, but I just pulled it out of storage and one is now wide open.

2 questions:
    What may have caused these and how can I prevent more?
    How should I go about repairing the cracks, especially the wide open one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

no pictures

3. timothias

timothias New Member

Fixed. Sorry about that. [:!]

4. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

I would be interested in learning how this could be fixed in case i ever have to do the same.

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

If you you will find use the search function and input ABS repair I believe you will find a number of threads on this subject. I believe the most often used method is to use a MEK product. You should drill a small hole at the ends of each crack to hopefully stop the crack from spreading, however I would be concerned about what is causing the cracks. You might have water infiltration behind the panels that freezes in the winter and expands causing the panels to crack.

6. timothias

timothias New Member

I searched and found some good instructions, thank you.

Drilling will stop them from growing?? Fascinating.

To the causes, I was pretty sure it was dry when I parked it for winter, and it was under cover since October. I find it curious there is a crack in each corner.

7. Tnerb

Tnerb New Member

Seems like the cracks are all by the roof latch area. Wonder if the latches were too tight putting stress on the plastic?

8. cprdnick

cprdnick Just Clint

I second that. It would make sense based on how it looks.

9. timothias

timothias New Member

I guess I need to watch how much stress they are taking then.

10. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

It's tough to diagnose without actually seeing it 1st hand but a few thoughts.

Prior owner appears to have worked on both of those latches-replacing one and resetting the other. Used some brown caulking/putting to seal the latches. That same material looks to be on the seal on both sides between the rear panel and main body. Maybe he had water problems and the framing has deteriorated to the point that movement is occurring. JMO but if the latches were creating too much stress, that should be transferred to the framing and not the plastic. OTHO, if the framing is weakened and allowing movement then it would be transferred to the plastic panel. If the stress was transferred directly to the plastic seems to me that the cracks would be horizontal, not vertical.

In a nutshell, whether I'm right or wrong, I think you're going to have to pull off the rear panel and see what's going on. If the framing is moving, fixing the panel is just a bandaid and the cracks will reappear. FWIW, here's what happened on a Coleman.