Crank handle repairs

Discussion in 'Website Tips & Tricks' started by Jiffypopup, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Jiffypopup

Jiffypopup New Member

Ok possibly one of the worst situations is a pop up that doesn't pop up anymore! So after removing the cover plate on the winder crank mechanism I found the thread stripped on the worm gear nut (not sure what it's called) but the four cables from each corner post connect to it. I'm new to 'pop-ups' and our first one is an oldie but in pretty good shape, a Bonair BA700 1994. So, I'm looking for spare parts and or advice except the fact that I should have lubricated the worm gear as I have now become aware of. It looks an easy fix, it is just the availability of parts? I live just north of the Toronto, Ontario area.
    Any ideas, thoughts please and thank you.

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

What type of lift system does it have? Pic's may help.

3. Jiffypopup

Jiffypopup New Member

Being new to pop ups and their repairs I don't have anything else to compare to but I will endeavour to post some photos for the visual. The system is a threaded rod about 24" long with a thread like worm gear on a lathe if that helps? It is the nut which has had the thread stripped clean from years, I imagine by how dry it is, of no grease or lunrication. One of those things that are hidden out of site and it takes time to do but a key part to a pop up!

4. jnc

Sounds like a Coleman type. Does it look like this?
    [​IMG] upload_2018-8-26_0-55-7.jpeg

5. Jiffypopup

Jiffypopup New Member

Yes, very similar, thanks. I may be able jig parts from other makes as they are very similar. Appreciate your help very much.

6. jnc

Not a problem. Search Coleman popup parts. I'm out boondocking or I would have sent you a link.#inogoodwithsmartphone!

7. Jiffypopup

Jiffypopup New Member

I have finally got some pics to help, the part where the cables connect is the part that has the thread stripped. If I can find that part it shouldn't be too difficult otherwise I may have to search for someone to make the part? Thanks again for the responses.
    IMG_1749.JPG IMG_1746.JPG

8. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

9. Jiffypopup

Jiffypopup New Member

Thank you so much, appreciate the links, they may have some thing that may just work.

megcabra likes this.
  10. Jiffypopup

Jiffypopup New Member

IMG_1761.JPG IMG_1760.JPG Just a quick update, after removing the parts and inspecting I think I will try to get the old repaired. I will try to get the brass insert replaced with the thread, at least it should avoid 'jimmying' if that's a word?

megcabra likes this.
  11. Jiffypopup

Jiffypopup New Member

I may not have pointed it out but notice the worn thread on the inside of the brass section in the last photo, I call it the nut. This is what the four cables are connected to that raise the roof and this is what gave way, due to next to no thread left, don't forget this is a 1994 pop up, it's done some miles. The nut just slipped along the worm gear or threaded rod from the weight of the roof, and back down it came. A good warning for all of us as this is the only part that you cannot see the wear unless you take off the threaded rod to inspect, a little extra work but that is preventative maintenance. Having said that there are many different set ups, probably the newer the better?
    We were just setting up for the first night of a nice relaxing week camping, you know the feeling, it doesn't get any better... So winding up roof about half way and it just dropped as a result of this worn thread. Like all four cables letting go at once, the roof dropped. We had to head home from there in a nut shell.
    I will let you know how this ends up.

12. jnc

I would think a Hot Rod shop should be able make you the piece you need. If not than maybe a new Coleman whiffletree will work.

13. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

A good machine shop should be able to make that for you. Just show them the rod since it is an Acme screw thread.

J Starsky likes this.
  14. Jiffypopup

Jiffypopup New Member

IMG_1777.JPG All is well that ends well. Just to finish off this storey, our camper is all back together functioning better than ever, at least when winding up the roof! Thanks for all the good advice, we ended up taking the part to a machine shop and the new part was made identical to the old, you couldn't tell them apart. What a relief, put it all back together and "LOTS and LOTS" of grease and we are good to go again. If any pop ups are of age I would strongly suggest pulling this apart and checking the condition of the thread to avoid the situation we were in, peace of mind if anything. Just look at the picture and see just how much thread was left on the old one. The cables were in great condition, lubricated and all but each cable is connected to this part and it gave way as I was winding up the roof which came down with a thump! Being brass in our case, I guess it is designed to wear more than the screw thread. It doesent get done as it is more work and out of sight, but really not a complicated process. Now it's time to plan the next trip, thanks again to all who helped.

megcabra and jnc like this.
  15. jnc

I glad you were able to get it machined. Thanks for letting us know how it ended.