Crank storage?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by FARfetched, Jan 3, 2019.

1. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

I thought this would have been covered already, but I didn't find it in search. So… if your PUP doesn't have a front storage compartment, where do you keep the cranks? I just know I'm going to forget them some time. Or they'll get displaced, forgotten, and we'll spend a weekend tearing the garage apart to find them.

One thought: a local biz sells ammo boxes; if I can find one tall (and wide) enough to hold the cranks, I could bolt it to the hitch or the back bumper. Maybe paint it to match the rest of the trailer. Has anyone done this?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i tied a red ribbon to mine. when i put it up, i tie the ribbon to the propane tank. i can visually see its in its place before leaving. do you have any storage compartments?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

While camping, I always left it in the "crank" position... removed when cranked down and stored just inside the camper door.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My old Jayco the door could unlock and open without the roof needing to rise. So for me I just put it in the front cabinet in the camper. All I had to do was remember the keys. I like the amo box idea. There have been a couple people here who did something similar.

lucky13don likes this.
  5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I have 4. Ok, 2 are actual cranks and 2 are electric lift switches. The actual cranks I keep one in the storage cabinet, just inside and by the camper’s door and the other in the trunk of the truck. The electric lift switches I keep in ammo boxes also stored in the same locations.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

My palomino has a pocket in the door where it stores.

7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

This is what I did with my Carmel. I also kept a spare crank in the truck at all times (under the back seat with the bottle jack).
    With the Niagara, the crank is readily accessible in the front storage, and the lift switch is in a little plastic box with a Socket Genie
    I still keep a spare crank and a spare electric lift switch permanently in the truck.

8. FARfetched

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions.

@Katskamper, I don't have any front storage. That would be the obvious place to store the cranks if I had. :) I checked out your blog and it gave me some ideas for other things I want to do later—especially adding a battery box. You have comments turned off, right?

@jmkay1, the PUP is sitting out in my driveway, so it was an easy check: the door won't open with the roof down. I didn't think it would, but it wouldn't have been the first time I missed something obvious.

There's a kind of triangular space between the propane tank and the camper proper. I might try to fab something out of thin plywood to span the hitch area. That should give enough room for a leveler, chocks, cranks, everything needed before opening the camper up.

9. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Here is what we use since our Coleman Redwood door cannot open when the roof is down and no other external storage area exists on our model. The box has been bolted to the frame and the lid handle has been removed. And it fits/closes with room for nesting wheel chocks.

7E100F3E-95FF-42F3-AAB0-9F7D72A6030B.jpeg

J Starsky and FARfetched like this.
  10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

There is a storage compartment under the stepper door. this is a good storage for a jack and lug wrench and crank.

Fless likes this.
  11. PeggyUSAFRET

PeggyUSAFRET New Member

12. PeggyUSAFRET

PeggyUSAFRET New Member

I have a lot of storage in the front but also under the dining benches.

13. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have an electric winch, but when I used pups with a manual winch, I always kept the crank inside the pup as close to the door as possible so it was handy when I needed it and always in the pup.

14. tfischer

As I said above our pup has a special storage place in the door for the crank. But we keep leveling devices (Andersen, Lynx, and wood), the water hose (usually need it to fill the tank on the way in), and a few other "need immediately's) right inside the door.

15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I suggest installing an access hatch door into an existing cabinet. An RV shop can handle this if you're not comfortable cutting a hole in your camper.
    Sorry that a kit that holds the door open. Here is a door.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  16. world traveler

world traveler Active Member

Our crank fits nicely in the toilet access compartment, which is the only one accessible with the roof down.

17. tfischer

I'd go nuts if I had to raise the roof, even partially, to open the door.

neighbormike and FARfetched like this.
  18. Fless

Fless Active Member

^^^^ This is what I did with my '02 Cheyenne. Very convenient. In fact, when I bought the PuP and I opened that compartment the first time I found a new (probably old stock) bag of trail mix. [:D]

I would never leave the crank in the "crank" position; I just wasn't comfortable leaving it there. It also might help to paint it a wild color so the chances of losing it go down.
    _

Halford likes this.
  19. FARfetched

It would be nice if the manufacturers thought about that. :rolleyes: It's kind of like what I'm going through at work lately… pulling together documentation across several different product lines. A well-appointed PUP has itself, converter, fridge, A/C, awning, and who knows what else to document.

Modern technical writing systems have the capability to remove information about stuff that isn't there, including pieces of wiring diagrams. My own work isn't quite as complex, since it has only three components (and they're all ours) instead of five or more, but still. At the very least, the manual for the popup proper could list what other documents are (or might be) included in the package.

20. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

under the back seat of the tow vehicle