Crap...discovered roof damage. Wet wood - Help!

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Floridays, May 19, 2013.

1. Floridays

Floridays New Member

Complete newbie PUP owner here and though we have not camped in it yet, we have been working on fixing up the minor things and REALLY enjoying it...until today.

I was repairing some small cracks and filling seams with caulking (5200) on the roof when I discovered some spongy spots along the edge. After peeling up the old (big glob) of caullking I found WET wood.

Not sure at all where to begin, but do I need to cut the aluminum out and replace wood, or cut aluminum out and let it dry out then...do what?

I'm pretty handy and will tackle ANYTHING, I just would love some general direction from the pros! [:D]

Just feeling kind of overwhelmed. [V]

Here are some pics of the damage (1998 Coachmen Clipper 1260)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Floridays

Floridays New Member

Lots of views, no takers... [LOL]

I have begun the process of removing a large section of aluminum. The previous owner had patched a few spots with caulking and another aluminum patch. I am planning on taking out a 2'x3' section of aluminum because I found that the wood was wet but not rotting.

There are some sections of the roof that have delaminated, any advice on how to "relaminate" these areas before I treat the wood and put the new aluminum in?

Thanks!

3. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Im new to this also but feel for you. I am working on my roof today.PO caulked AC gasket down now I have a mees
    + 2 small tears to fix. Is it a metal roof. Is it divided in the middle. You may be able to section it off and fix. I would peel back and see how much damage there is then start from there. first things first, get the area exposed and get rid of the wet wood. Do some searching on the internet and see what you come up with. there has to be some kind of bracing in the roof I would imagine. The only way to really find out is to start peeling it back. Good luck! I hope someone else posts more help than me. Surely someone out there has been there and done that.

4. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Sorry Floridays, I am sure most viewers, like myself, just get a knot in their stomach when they see pictures like yours. We personally have not had a problem like that so we can be of not be of any assistance. There are many rebuild threads and I am sure many members will be willing to give you advice and guidance. Please don't be discouraged by the lack of response, usually it is immediate... many of us are prepping to camp on the first holiday weekend of the season.

Add another post next week to bump your request back up to the "recent topics"... just like you did this morning.

Wishing your pup a speedy recovery!
    Diane

5. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Hopefully it's your sideboards (very common) and not the roof itself? It's hard for me to tell from the pics. There are lots of threads here on replacing those and it's not too bad of a job to do. Some people have even done it leaving the roof on.

6. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

I recommend taking a picture from more of a distance, your shot is too close to tell what part is damaged. I'm not trying to be naggy or critical, just my [2C] that it's hard to tell from the picture. Oh, and if this was my pup I'd probably throw a layer of Gorilla tape over the whole thing and maybe some chalk too. kidding, I'd probably pay my handy brothers to fix it. Good luck!

7. Floridays

Floridays New Member

OK, here's where we are.

The previous owner had repaired some corroding aluminum (3 spots)with pieces of aluminum but they weren't sealed properly. After finding the wet wood I decided to remove the corroded aluminum as well as the areas he covered (but were still leaking).

There are probably other ways to get this done but I have already started the process due to extent of the aluminum damage. So forward we go!

So here are my thoughts about what to do:

Cut back aluminum to clean dry wood
    Dry it out and treat the wood (presupposing it's not rotten, just wet)
    Fill any gaps with wood filler?
    Treat the wood (water sealer?)
    Recover area with new aluminum sheet

Here's where I'm not sure what to do. Exact size of aluminum? Smaller size and bondo gaps? Larger size and overlap?

Obviously then 5200 and Kool roof or elastomeric roof paint.

Thanks for any advice about any step!

First picture is crooked...not sure why, it shows straight in photobucket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Some people have used those fiberglass FRP panels (come in 4x8 sheets at the box stores and used for commercial bathroom walls) painted with an exterior paint for sideboard repairs as the texture matches better to what you have. Maybe that might be a good option on your roof and then seal the seams with eternabond? The wood looks good, that's a plus :)

9. Floridays

Floridays New Member

FRP panel! That just made me happy...what a great idea. I think I will continue cutting out the damaged aluminum and plan on using an FRP panel in its place!

Thanks for that idea!

Scott

10. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

sweet!!! progress. Thats good. I spent all day scraping gasket material off the rood and AC. Fixed the 2 tears with seam sealer and am ready to put the ac back on. Was going to use 2 gaskets but the second one was smaller than the first so that aint gonna work. Going back with 1 gasket and level it properly. good luck on your ordeal. you have a lot more going than me!!! After the AC gasket its on to the leaky plumbing!. these thing are always maintenance!! I will be glad when I can finally go camping in it. had it a month and never got out of the driveway. [:(]

11. Floridays

Floridays New Member

Haha, I feel your pain! We've had ours nearly a month and have only set it up in the driveway!

Glad your gasket work is going well, perhaps I should check mine while I'm digging around up there!

As I work on this I will post updates and photos so some poor soul who encounters the same issue may get some ideas...and for those who are just trying to get their crock pots to match their interiors, they can just suffer with me online! Hahaha [:D]

12. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I should take pics also when I do something. I used the pics on here to replace my lift cable. Was'nt hard but gave me more idea of what goes on so I knew what I had to deal with. I would definitely change your AC gasket and hope the PO didnt caulk it down. Seems like all problems start on the roof!! keep your chin up and good luck. Cant wait to see those progess pics. [A]

13. Floridays

Floridays New Member

Just thought I'd give an update!

I squared up the section of bad aluminum that I cut away to find good wood, re-laminated some wood areas that were coming apart (silicone), and re-laminated some aluminum areas (gorilla glue) around the perimeter of my cut out area. Also used some wood filler to even out some areas and cover up exposed stryofoam.

Today I am using an oil based primer (Kilz) to treat the wood and then on to the final steps of adding the FRP panel and sealing it.

The last step will be an elastomeric paint coat or two! Then maybe I can go camping! [:D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Looking good, I just completed my roof rebuild and got to go camping over Memorial weekend.

Demo

Rebuild

Felt good to get it back together and go camping.

15. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

You're on the home stretch now!

16. Floridays

Floridays New Member

Well just an update, it's been a busy couple months...

I sealed the wood area with kilz, and bonded the FRP panel to the cut out area then sealed the seams with 5200.

After a thorough cleaning, I applied 3 coats of elastomeric roof paint and I think we're good to go!

First camping trip is on July 14th and I'm pretty dang sure if it rains, there will be no leaking!

Here are a few pics of the final steps of the process...it's not beautiful but it's solid, ha ha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Looks Good. Do Camp Drive, it's been raining daily [8D]

18. dillon2

dillon2 New Member

looks good. At least you had wood underneath, mine just has Styrofoam and cardboard.... and it leaked. What a pain to fix.

19. 3sons

3sons Only good at Drinking Beer

Great job!!! My Coachmen Clipper has some water damage to the inside roof. Did you have to replace the inside panels? And how much of a pain was it to get all the rotten wood and foam out? I am not looking forward to pulling mine out.

20. Floridays

Floridays New Member

3sons- I never did replace the ceiling in any way although I probably could have. There was no major visible damage from the inside other than some buckling of the vinyl coat.

So basically I went in from the top only. I wish I could offer you more info about the inside ceiling, perhaps there are additional threads regarding that issue.

Best of luck to you!