Crazy little vintage PU “Irwin’s Kamper”???

Discussion in 'Vintage & Off The Wall Campers' started by k-t-did, Jan 28, 2020.

1. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Greensburg, KS: home of the World's Largest Hand Dug Well.
    http://www.kansastravel.org/greensburgbigwell.htm

k-t-did and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Backtonature

Backtonature Active Member

Very cool! And the 1st time I’ve seen one.
    Enjoy it!

k-t-did likes this.
  3. penny

penny Well-Known Member

that is just about the neatest thing I've seen in a long time! when we had a VW westfalia, I did a lot of mending of our pop top with needle and thread, glue and patches. the canvas wasn't brittle, so it was worth the effort. There are several companies that make replacement tents for the VW westfalia and for Country Home Pop ups. the CHC top would come the closest to a fit. anyway, although I can't remember the names of the companies that manufacture them, Go Westy or Bus Depot should be able to steer you to a company that does camper pop up top tents. A nice VW westfalia replacement tent was between $300-$500 depending on the color, weight and window choices. the tent material on our westfalia was wonderful. it was old, but lightweight, very tight weave but smooth. not bulky, you could tuck it all around the edges easily when the top was down. The original fabric was from Germany, I believe. ours was an 84 and had the original canvas. a spray of high end water proofing every couple of years and it NEVER leaked.

I miss that westy more than any camper we ever had. I loved it more than you should ever love an inanimate thing.

k-t-did and Strawhouse like this.
  4. Mende

Mende New Member

I have an Irwin's Kamper! I posted on your other thread.

k-t-did likes this.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

My Fold n Roll is similar in layout. Irv Perch added a kitchen on one side in place of the couch, and added about 1-2 ft at the back end to add a small bathroom on one side and a fridge on the other.

I even have the double bunk beds - those are great!! I use the top for sleeping - mine doesn't drop and can stay made (minus the pillows) when closed up. The bottom is where the dogs slept and for storage during travel. In a pinch, I could lift the top just enough to open the door and sleep in the bottom bunk comfortably for a night. The bottom bunk even has windows on either side.

6. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

I would love to see pics!

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

This shot you can see the dogs on the upper bunk and the bottom bunk below.o
    IMG_20180521_181813.jpg
    This is the couch on the left side - you can see Moose-dog enjoting his window in the bottom bunk.
    IMG_20181012_182246.jpg
    I added a wooden platform to the couch so I could have more storage space.
    IMG_20181012_183617.jpg
    This is the top bunk all done up - I just move pillows to the couch to close it up.
    IMG_20180929_154216_hdr.jpg
    Here is the kitchen side. Cupboards and drawers underneath, countertop, stove and sink.
    IMG_20180617_140851_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180617_140925_hdr.jpg
    Here is Bat-dog enjoying the other bottom bunk window (on the kitchen side).
    IMG_20180617_141121_hdr.jpg
    Bathroom is behind this curtain right next to the door (that's Bat-dog) - it's a wet bath with a built in cassette toilet.
    IMG_20180617_142350_hdr.jpg
    Here is it closed up.
    858a87aede05098d8fc7fa5beb128a1e.jpg
    Here it is in camping mode (you can see the fridge to the right of the door).
    IMG_20181027_133825_hdr.jpg

It is all hardsided which I love. I went to Death Valley in it for 12 days with the two dogs (both large), two cats and a parrot. We fit fine because of that bottom bunk - the dogs would go in there while I cooked, dressed, etc. so I had floor space.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Karen Gay, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.