Create Map

Discussion in 'Hey PUP Staff, Let me tell you what I think!' started by scubad, May 31, 2010.

1. scubad

scubad New Member

Will the map creater be coming back?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

At this time that is way down on the list of things to do. The reason for this is that the original app was written in ASP and since we moved to the new server platform, ASP is no longer available. I am in the process of learning PHP and if I can find a way to duplicate the functions of the Travel Map in PHP, I will recreate the app.

3. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Is that why the campground locator went 'Adios', too? Some of us put a lot of time into that thing.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That is what I am working on now. It will look different from the old version but all the data is still there and it will have some new features too.

Katskamper likes this.
  5. themanfromvan

Good..... good..... that thing proved to be a valuable resource while we had it.

Who was our member who dedicated half her life to that thing? She hasn't been active in a while, but she sure did an awesome job of compiling information. Dude - what the heck is her user name?? I know she's 50ish and camps with her grandkids...... Man - this is gonna bug me till I figure it out. [::)] [::)]

6. JoeCamper

JoeCamper Eastern, Pennsylvania

Dave,

Julie (JTHOMAS124169) from Michigan spent many hours uploading campgrounds into the system. She also drive 12 or 14 hours to Pennsylvania for the Thanksgiving Rally two years ago. Very nice woman and a lot of fun. She is still around the portal but not as active as the past.

Google maps has some great campground information available until this functionality become available.
    go to www.google.com, click maps, type the campground name (Spring Gulch Campground) / the area name and campground (Lancaster PA campground) or the zipcode and campground (17033 campground). There is maps, websites, reviews, directions and much more.

7. themanfromvan

Yeah, Julie !!! That's it. She did an incredible job compiling all that information. We conversed a little back and forth in the process of she and I getting the campgrounds into the site, too. A very nice lady with a keen sense of humor. I miss not having her around here as much.

Julie ???!!!! Are you still lurking out there???? Julie???!!!

8. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

Use the tools here... http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?action=profile;u=6012
    I don't know of her but it looks like she was active not long ago.

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

"PopUpSteve, post: 239851, member: 4764" I am in the process of learning PHP and if I can find a way to duplicate the functions of the Travel Map in PHP, I will recreate the app.

I was looking for the Travel Map and wondering if it was ever recreated in PHP. I see it mentioned in old post, but nothing new. Old post said to go to "Base Camp" on the "Home" page, but it looks like "Home" and "Forums" are the same now. I see no "Base Camp".