Creative Exterior Paint Jobs?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by heathdavis, Aug 30, 2011.

1. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Has anyone done an interesting paint job on the exterior of their Pup? Such as, an unusual color or some kind of design? (I'd kind of like to paint mine something wild one day if dh will allow it.)

I'd love to see pics, if you have them.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

There have been several here, under various sections - restoration, check out my rig, etc. some have been sports themed, flags, etc. Ours wasn't all that creative (see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitphantom/), we needed to cover some of the repairs we did on the Palomino, so just went with colors we liked.

3. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

When I get a new TV I expect to repaint the pup to match, including rim styles

4. NM Novice

NM Novice New Member

I did just that. Removed the old brown and orange stripes with an eraser wheel and painted them back in black to match my tv. I also got new decals from the factory that were black and silver. Looks stock, not custom, but better than with the old cracked decal striping.

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

[​IMG]

6. mdigby

mdigby New Member

Well I can't say mine is very creative... BUT I DO HAVE BEFORE AND AFTER SHOTS!

This was before

[​IMG]

This is after. I painted it with a foam roller and TSC Valspar enamel. If you Google "paint my car with a roller" you'll find posts about the technique I used. It isn't professional, but it isn't too bad either.

The blue stripes are scotchlite blue reflective tape (like emergency vehicles use.)

[​IMG]

I plan on installing lettering again, but the money tree hasn't bloomed recently. [:!] [{}=] [:!]

7. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Keep 'em coming--- and keep the tips coming too (I didn't know you could paint a car with a roller (and have it come out nice), and reflective tape is a good idea.)

I had a sudden inspiration for my pup this afternoon: It's a Jayco. I am making curtains from fabric called "Oslo Bluebird" --
    See http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=3c1d6ee6-50af-4bd8-bc46-6c81ba4e9cd3

I can see a bird theme developing.

Therefore, I have decided that one thing I want to do is put Angry Birds decals or stencils on the outside, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B004HV1W9G/ref=dp_otherviews_0?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&img=0
    [:D]

8. mdigby

mdigby New Member

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I have seen teardrops painted as ladybugs and bumblebees.

The angry bird decals are super cute! I have never played the game, but love that fat, mad looking bird.

We are painting our pup this weekend, at least the white base color. We have a Disney theme going on and I'm still up in the air about what to do on the exterior. It's going to be either Musket Mickey or hidden Mickeys.

10. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I used striping tape on mine last year. I should have just gone ahead with painting the stripes on it. I wanted to put 1/2 of the silhouette of a fir tree at the front edge of the side panels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

But if I paint the Pup, I'll lose the lovely patina I gotten from not washing it.

12. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Hi HeathDavis--- I guess you might say that BLACK is an unusual color. LOL.. I painted mine this year to match my TV. I see your post was from late summer.. any progress on painting yours yet? Post Pics if you do! It's fun to check out others' projects.

[​IMG]

13. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

DSC,
    That looks amazing! I have a viking and when the paint goes bad I'm sure we'll DIY the task.

Where did you get the lettering?
    Thanks!

14. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

Does anyone know how to get the strips off without repainting. Think I would like my without them .

15. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

largely dependent on how old your camper is ( the older, the more difficult it may be ) there is a product called " Stripe Eraser"

basically a 3.5" rubber puck on a spindle that you attach to an electric drill ( this would eat up a battery drill pretty quick ) and essentially rub the stripe off.

it'll be kinda messy ( rubber and vinyl bits ) but works pretty well, and depending how much decal you're removing, it could get a little spendy as the rubber wheels wear away as they are used, sometimes rather quickly.

there are bigger versions of this, that work as well or better, but you'll be pretty heavily invested in tools by the time you're able to get things done.

16. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Thanks, Lauren!
    Lots of great info here on the site regarding DIY Paint jobs!

17. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

18. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

That black looks sharp. What color is the canvas? (I'm wondering what it looks like popped up.)

I decided to hold off painting for a while. I cleaned it as well as I could-- which required scrubbing with mineral spirits to remove a huge amount of duct tape residue-- then I bought some Angry Birds decals on the internet in brown to match the original Jayco trim: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

That's a really nice awning HD... very unique for a PUP!

Here is pic taken after after packing up on it's maiden black voyage. lol The green trim is not my favorite, but the tent is in excellent shape for a 2000 model...so I'm learning to accept as it is. [:D]

[​IMG]

20. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Actually, that's not an awning-- That's the shelter it lives in in our back yard. :)