1. D Jordan

D Jordan New Member

Do any of you take a crockpot with when camping? If so, what is your favorites?

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I always have on in the TT and use it most trips, I buy a small (just two of us) cheap one at dollar General or wally world.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Only took my crock pot once mainly because it was a spur of the moment trip and I didn't want the stroganoff to go to waist. Food came out great and was great to just prep and forget about it. However we didn't want to leave it outside while we were away from camp so put it in my mom's camper. However it ended up melting my mom's blind in her TT. Food came out great but
    I never brought the crock pot again unless I'm going to be at camp to babysit it. I just don't trust the narrow counters in the camper and don't trust the critters and other camp trespassers to leave it Outside unattended. Others I've heard had no problem so maybe their pots don't get so hot outside.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We have a small one that lives in the TT.. We don't use it too often, but its great to have incase..

5. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

I used to bring a crockpot. I’ve made Easter Ham & sides as well as other meals when camping while using a crockpot.

NOW, I bring my instant pot because I use it’s different types of cooking functions: pressure cooker, stew, beans, soups, slow cooker & etc.

I enjoy camping more than ever using an instant pot. No more spending numerous hours cooking when I can spend more time enjoying my family, friends and camping environment.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Overland and kitphantom like this.
  6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

While I was an early-ish adopter of the 6qt 7 in 1 Instant pot, the same unit can now be had for about 1/3 of what I paid for mine (grrrr.).

I have yet to master slow cooking in this miracle cooker, but once done and in my repetoire of cooking skills, I will likely buy an instant pot specifically for the camper so my wife doesn't freak out when she sees me hauling the one from the kitchen out to the camper...

The idea is dump and go meals. Slow cooking is nice, but pressure cooking takes WAY less time...

We've done a lot of the same meals from the slow cooker, like ranch chicken, instead of 6 hours on low, it is more like 20 minutes at pressure, total of 40 minutes while everyone is cleaning up and relaxing in the evening...

FWIW, the Insignia brand 6qt multi cooker at Best Buy is only $29.99 on sale right now. Looks to me to be a direct copy of the Instant pot aside from the inside liner...

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I enjoys these type of threads. It shows the diverseness of how people camp. I have one 12x12 electric skillet and it is used to cook bacon and eggs in the morning. Lunches are always cold (if we dont eat out) and dinners are eaten at local restaurant that we dont have at home. Never would I have thought to bring a crockpot and have something cooking all day. We "destination" camp, meaning there is always a popular town nearby, so we visit local restaurants.

dbhost likes this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I was never comfortable with the idea of setting a meal in the crock-pot and going off somewhere else while camping, nor wanting to hang around camp while it cooks. Actually not much of a fan of crock-pot cooking so got rid of all of ours when we got our first Instant Pot multi-cooker (it apparently doesn't do well as a slow cooker, but I'd rather pressure cook anyway).
    We don't often have power, but will use it when it's available. The TT arrived with a microwave in place, and it has proved a lot handier than we thought, even if it's storage most of the time. For Thanksgiving, we'll be meeting friends at an AZ SP with power and we cook the evening meal together. Breakfast we usually do our own thing, lunch we're often out and about. I'll be taking one or two of the Instant Pots, maybe a toaster oven, we have to discuss meal options soon. As long as the weather cooperates, we'll cook outside. If it gets really bad this year, we'll head over to their house for the big meals, since we're camping half an hour from their house - definitely not usually an option for us.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our camper has it's own crock pot and we use it most trips. For the most part we use it for a roast or chicken taco meat. Pot roast while camping is my all time favorite.
    We've never encountered a single problem with animals even though we are canvas, camp where there is lots of wildlife, and are usually away from camp all day.

10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

You do bring up a point, albeit indirectly. Your access to power and "civilization" will determine a lot of what you may want to haul with you to prepare a meal.

LOTS of folks I have camped with have never once turned a camp stove burner on for anything more than boiling water and rehydrating things like instant oatmeal. Most of my early camping days I spent heating up bratwurst on a stick over a camp fire. As I have aged, and honestly, as my wife prefers hot, fresh, healthier meals than dining out, we tend to cook rather elaborate meals in camp.

We were planning on doing Thanksgiving in camp this year, but family has changed that plan and I will likely still involve the Dutch Oven, the Weber Kettle and the Instant Pot... :)

So back on subject. If I were in camp at say a State Park campground with 30 amp power, (plus the additional 15 on the post typically) and water, I wouldn't hesitate to use my Instant Pot, or Crock pot and just get / keep things going. However when boondocking, I have to run off of my 900/700w generator. No way...

A lot depends on the who, what, where, why, and when behind your camping trip is concnerned. While we haven't yet done it, I intend to try slow cooking in my dutch oven when camping with extended family where we are hanging out in camp and swapping stories. Mind you, we tend to pick sites where we are all close by and close to where we can cast a line in, so the day gets spent fishing, and tending coals. We've done it BBQing (slow smoke Texas style) in camp for many years in the past... We tend to wilderness / remote camp and we hunt, fish, hike, and visit. There are always at least 4 adults in camp at any given time.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019 at 5:30 PM