Crockpot cooking in a campground?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by paulberard, Aug 6, 2013.

1. rambus

rambus Member

I don't think a crockpot in a pup is a good idea, but more important than that is rootbeer pulled pork? you gotta give me that recipe!!!!

2. paulberard

paulberard New Member

For everyone's info, we talked to the CO's when we got there, and although typical bear precautions are still advised (like putting your garbage in the cages or car at night), due to the over-abundance of berries this year, there haven't even been a sighting! Yes, it's no different than a dutch oven, and being that we're never far from the site or away from it for longer than an hour, we didn't worry. In a campground of such close quarters, there are so many different people cooking at so many different times, you always smelled some kind of food anyway! Thanks for all the replies!

And PS, the beauty of a crockpot is that you plug it outside Rambus :) And Tvketchum, with 5 kids on the site there is rarely an hour that goes by without someone coming back to the site!

3. goody59

goody59 Member

I can tell you from experience, Downunder is definitely beer Country.

4. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Colleen,
    What do you put in it to cook overnight? I like that idea.

5. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

This is good "food for thought" LOL. I want to put beef in croc pot for IL spring rally potluck in May. I may just use it to reheat the previosly made beef, so don't have to hang around our site the whole time, so can be with the others.

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

What time is chow?

7. nudib

nudib New Member

I put mine in the sink plugged into a GFI plug. We use it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Makes for a easy meal when you get back from kayaking. Favorites are beef tips and noodles, pulled pork, lasagna, and Ribs w/ greens.. DAWG now you did , I`m hungry. CAMP ON!

8. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

It's not a good idea for food safety to reheat food in the crockpot. I usually reheat the food on the stove, then transfer to the crock pot to keep it warm. Even the makers of the crock-pot state it is not a good idea to reheat previously cooked food in a crock-pot.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As CamperMike said ^^^, reheating good in a crockpot is not recommended. Using it as a keep warm method does work, however.
    We try to jeep food safety in mind no matter whether we are, food poisoning is not something I care to experience ever again.

10. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We have taken our crockpot to the trail center and plugged it in. There were several others there and no one bothered it.

As for the campsite, I saw a bear come out of the woods and go after the one and only dish of dog food that someone left out in broad daylight. If they can smell dog food from back in the forest, they can certainly smell pulled pork or beef stew.

Even if you're not in bear country, chances are that you're still in skunk and raccoon country. We have a hardsided popup now, and even with that, we don't want to run the risk of bear or skunk damage due to cooking smells.

11. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Rootbeer pulled pork....now that sounds scrumptious!!! Really would like that recipe!

12. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

I just got off the phone with Yogi The Bear and he said to go ahead and "make his day"but be sure that he is down wind from where you set up that crock pot so he can smell it and stop by for a visit.
    I love just about anything in a crockpot that my that DW has made BUT I can smell it through a closed door sometimes and my sniffer isn't as powerful as those bears.

13. BratsMuttsNFish

BratsMuttsNFish New Member

I think we will try the root beer pulled pork next time we go, that sounds yummy!

14. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Glad we don't live in bear country :) . . . but we do live in beer country [:D].

My DW even refuses to take our PUP to bear country for fear of the bears breaking in.

We all should be careful of taking our PUPs too deep into beer country for fear of the rednecks [LOL]. BTW, I do consider myself one of them.

But on a serious side on the original subject. We use the Crockpot quite often when camping. Since we don't camp in bear country and don't plan on using our PUP there, cooking inside the PUP is not an issue for us.

We, usually, put the crock pot on the stove cover in the PUP or one of the countertops. If we are planning on being around during the day, we sometimes put the crockpot on a table outside of the PUP; but, we wouldn't leave it there when we aren't going to be nearby to watch it.

I don't have a fear of the crockpot catching fire in the PUP any more than I would at home on the kitchen counter. I suspect that the crockpot isn't any more likely to burst into flame or explode than other things (e.g., furnace, A/C, power converter, refrigerator, charging battery, etc.).

15. Jim_Rockford

Jim_Rockford Member

I could see bear country, but if you are not in bear country have at it, its a frigging crock pot, not a open flame camp stove, geeze, there are some scaredy cat folks on here, maybe some of you folk might want to sell you popup and just stay in your nice safe home so you don't have to come out into the big bad world of nature and outdoors stuff. man. [?:~{]

16. Happicamper

Happicamper New Member

then why do pups come with sinks, stoves, fridges and dining tables? All the appliances one would need to store, prep, cook and eat food. [;)]

Not all of us are in bear country.

17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I can see that you are new here. If you spend any time here you soon will see that there are all types of people here. There are those who camp and there are those who like to bring every possible thing from their home as possible. There are those who like the wilderness and those who want to make their campsite look like NYC.
    There are those who like the quiet and those who need big speakers and large screen television.

Enjoy the group.

18. Jim_Rockford

Jim_Rockford Member

I can see that there is a wide variety, but the fraidy cats are making it sound like you don't want to do anything but set up your camper and look at it, don't sleep in it, don't shower in it, don't cook in it,... gezzz

19. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

WOW.. root beer pulled pork! This might be part of our Easter meal this year! We love our crock pot!

We have considered bringing the crock pot. We get so busy some times and we like doing things as a family, so there isnt one of us that stays back and cooks while the other takes the kids swimming etc. We often get back to the campsite later than planned, then we have to cook after being exhausted from doing what ever activity. A nice warm meal ready to go would be ideal.

Then again I would hate for a strong storm to blow in while we are gone and have the crock pot fall off a table onto the ground, or if someone accidentally disconnects our power and come back to cold food. [}:)] I guess I would only use it if I was able to check on it every so often.

20. Jim_Rockford

Jim_Rockford Member

just stick it in the sink as someone else suggested, life is about risk.